The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline The Author Guy  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 2, 2021 2:49:05 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 86 post(s)
I am wrapping up Oak Orks of the Antilles: Into The Night and hope to hand it over to the Beta Demons to devour/mangle in about a month.

Look for invites to those who signed up for notification about a hundred years ago, and a post for a new link for those that did not in a few weeks.

I assume roughly a month for that (but who knows what Beta Demons will demand), a month for editing (editor), 2-3 weeks for formatting and then the Kindle release, the Audible release is typically about 3 months after I get it back from the editor. So we are looking near the late fall of year for the book, early next year for the Audible.

As a reminder:

Oak Orks of the Antilles: Into the Night is a spin off series involving Trig Bio Blast, Shaman of Orkus for the Antilles Cluster. The other shamans met him at the astral pow-wow.

It is written so that people don't have to have read the other books, but it does help, and if you read OOA:ITN first, there are a lot of spoilers.

OOA:ITN is basically another shaman quest for a Doomalogue, but because 1) it is SF 2) it has a lot of its own world building and 3) it takes place over a much longer time frame (space travel is slow even at thousands of times the speed of light) I spun it off.

BUT: It starts near the end of of Book III and continues on into the future, past Book IV, but eventually everything will come back together.

Tom and the D'Orcs are in it, although Tom may not be around as much as people want; but the D'Orcs are. And it is all from Trig's POV. Oh, and of course, someone else sticks his pipe into the book as well.

I did single POV for this and COA:ITW because it makes shorter books and to give people who hate the thousand points of view model something to chew on!

Once that's out the door, it's back to Book IV, hoping for next year on that.
Offline Dungeon Roomba  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 3, 2021 11:41:37 PM(UTC)
Dungeon Roomba

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
<gelatinous gasp!>

Yaaaaaaay! I'm jiggling with excitement! My pseudopods are are wiggling and tingling.
Gelatinous Cube
(aka Dungeon Roomba)

"Because there's always a 10x10-foot room for Jell-O"
Offline fallen_one_84  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 4, 2021 3:09:36 AM(UTC)
fallen_one_84

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
YAY

first post since site came back to Canada
I remember sending email saying I couldn't visit the site.
just kept lurking when it came back a week or two after my email.
Offline The Author Guy  
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 4, 2021 7:17:10 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Hey welcome back.

This site is pretty old tech that has holes and this site gets a LOT of malicious attacks.

I had setup an application firewall for a bit that caused complete chaos from random sets of people depending on location, browser etc.

I actually think half the problems were how this old code handled stuff (poorly) causing the application firewall to block stuff.

I started migrating to newer technology and was a good way there when...."Cloudpacolypse" happened and my entire "cloud ecosystem" collapsed due to a bankruptcy of where it was located. That forced me to flee, and cost me about 60K in lost equipment eaten by company.

So now I'm in a temporary min-cloud environment for myself, and the server I was migrating to is whacked out and not working properly, the app firewall was wiped out in the Cloudpacolypse and was such a disaster I did not try to revive it, so I'm stuck back on the old site, but now just obsessively virus scanning and running other scripts to combat the attacks.

So, beta will be here....just like the other ones.
Offline Mikey  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 5, 2021 3:43:28 PM(UTC)
Mikey

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Originally Posted by: The Author Guy Go to Quoted Post

So now I'm in a temporary min-cloud environment for myself, and the server I was migrating to is whacked out and not working properly, the app firewall was wiped out in the Cloudpacolypse and was such a disaster I did not try to revive it, so I'm stuck back on the old site, but now just obsessively virus scanning and running other scripts to combat the attacks.

Back in the day, I started migrating the astlan.world content to a static site generator, but put that on hold as you went a different way. Should I continue that effort, which I admittedly did not put very many hours into?
Offline The Author Guy  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 5, 2021 9:38:15 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

I remember!

It's been such a crazy year since then, I have no idea what to do about the website. Given that my client workload is far higher than I want to be able to write as much as I want, I am sort of just not doing anything on the website choosing to concentrate any and all free time I have on writing.

One of my biggest reasons for wanting a better/more secure site is for the Beta process. Which is why I am thinking about just using a dedicated service, see post on Beta Demon Software.

I seem to have the wort of the malware attacks under control now, I think, so things are sort of stable, but long term this code is old WebForms based DNN, and DNN itself went MVC based and this dinosaur version is not being updated, thus the risks.

So short answer is, I am currently not doing anything on the website, and have no idea what I want to do about it. I can't reasonably ask you to work on your version since I have no idea what I'm doing. Other than trying to get OOA:ITN and the Book IV out the door in the reasonable future.

T-A-G
Offline Mikey  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, July 6, 2021 9:33:06 PM(UTC)
Mikey

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Originally Posted by: The Author Guy Go to Quoted Post
So short answer is, I am currently not doing anything on the website, and have no idea what I want to do about it. I can't reasonably ask you to work on your version since I have no idea what I'm doing. Other than trying to get OOA:ITN and the Book IV out the door in the reasonable future.

Well, I decided to quit my job and take the last few months of unconstrained covid off as an uncompressing vacation, so I'll just see where the whimsy takes me, regarding this particular thingy.

It was great to hear that the book is getting closer to done, and as a big fan of not shit stuff, I hope that you haven't spent your enthusiasm for storytelling quite yet.

Offline The Author Guy  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 6, 2021 9:45:49 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Not yet, just so many other things going on...still hope to go full time someday.

On the radar

OOA:ITN this year
Book IV I hope next year

COA:ITW ? (about 25% done)
Book V: ?
Book VI ?
Book VII ? (I think this wraps main story up)

OOA: 2, 3 ?
COA: 2, 3 ?

SOA: 1,2,3? Seas of Astlan (Captain Asmeth and the Interdimensional Brigands that stole the book for Lenamare)