The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
3 Pages<123
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline The Author Guy  
#41 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2015 5:12:57 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 86 post(s)
God, I hate that!

The guy with the answer is one village over in the middle of a multi-continent epic. And they miss each other. I think authors do that to torment readers.

SoT went 14 books? Wow, I think I did the first 3...

I think a real problem with the never ending series is that, particularly when there is a long time between books, you can only keep so many stories and plotlines in your head.

Offline Threefinger  
#42 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2015 5:42:38 PM(UTC)
Threefinger

Groups: Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

I had to look it up to make sure I was remembering right lol. 14 books in the main series and two prequels.

That is pretty much the only thing that will make me give up on an author and their series. I have no problem waiting a couple years for the next installment of a series, particularly if it's a good one, but once it hits 5-6 years between books I just give it up usually. I dislike having to reread an entire 10 book series to try to remember where it was so I can follow the new book.

Yea I hate it when they miss each other like that too when it happens, but like I said, it is a solid plot device and a good epic should have moments that have the readers going "NO! GO BACK THE OTHER WAY!" or something similar. Those moments of despair can make the story stronger. I just don't feel you should make it the go-to move for a 14 book series, using it once or thrice is fine but if you use it much more than that it gets to the point where you just expect that to happen and it stops being a plot twist and more a glaring lack of coordination between the supposed heroes.
Offline The Author Guy  
#43 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2015 7:14:50 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Well, that goes back to the GoT: everything starts repeating itself.

Once or twice, but when it gets to be a crutch to prolong the story, then it's a problem.
Offline JMX  
#44 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2015 11:53:22 PM(UTC)
JMX

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Malazan book of the fallen series by Steven Ericson was also good. A complicated/long series that kinda confused me by the end trying to keep track but it did end. There were almost to many differnt characters to track.

I was tempted to start rereading it until I realized I had no idea where I put the hard copies. Kindle has spoiled me.

I also read the sword of truth series and I wish I had stopped around book 3* when the first story arc ended.
Offline The Author Guy  
#45 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2015 3:36:48 AM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Someone mentioned Malazan the other day. I sort of think I read at least some of it. Problem is, I am sure it was dead tree, so I'd have to go search through the catacombs for it.

That's another nice thing about e-books. You can find them very easily. Actually that's not just books. I can find anything on computer, but notices, etc sent by snail mail I always misplace.

I was just thinking this afternoon how one of my favorite features was the ability to read the same book in different formats.

I like my Kindle PW as a good traveling size. If I forget it on the train or bus, I can use my phone. At home I can use my iPad or Asus Memopad, both are bit bigger than the KPW.

Different sizes for different reading conditions. Now, true a mmpb is good to travel, but for curl up by fire, I prefer trade or hard back which don't travel. And I never want to buy hard and mmpb