The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Mikey  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 8, 2016 2:52:53 PM(UTC)
Mikey

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 30 post(s)
A picture is worth a thousand words: http://imgur.com/a/ytcNr

First it's borken, but after a reload, it's worken'.

Looks like some sort of an intermittent database connection problem, maybe?

Edited by user Tuesday, November 8, 2016 2:54:02 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline The Author Guy  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 8, 2016 5:04:22 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 86 post(s)
Took me a while to understand what you were showing.

Yes, I have on occasion noticed this in the last month or so. A refresh of the page seems to fix it.

Not at all sure what it is. The DB is local to the machine.

I would think there would be more of an error message for db connection.

If you can note the UTC time when this happens, I can try and check various log files.

I am wondering it is more of db performance problem and too short of a timeout on the website's side.

One thing that is new/recently repaired is the full text indexing of the db. I wish I'd paid more attention to exactly when it started, but it seems like only in the last few months.
Offline Mikey  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 8, 2016 5:10:08 PM(UTC)
Mikey

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

If you're using a DB connection pool, is the pool checking the connection with a query before proceeding?

This started only yesterday for me, so maybe it might well be a function of how many comments you've made on the boards... perhaps an index issue combined with the timeouts you mentioned?
Offline The Author Guy  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 8, 2016 7:28:51 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

That is what I'm thinking. Haven't had the chance to actually in and look.

Could possibly be growth related to. I probably should also add some IOPS to the disk. I've got a default 200 which is fine for a typical slow webserver or fileserver, but if you are doing any db activity, it needs to be higher. The vast majority of the year you don't need much and so it's rather wasted, I only have so many IOPS per hypervisor to move around, OK, it's 45,000 but....every 100 IOPS counts....
Offline The Author Guy  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 8, 2016 7:35:48 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

DNN logs bajillions of crap into the database that's unneaded/don't care about.

And it's gotten really bad the last year for some reason. That's why I had to go to a larger version of SQL Server, the db exceeded 10 Gb a few months back and now it's at 21 Gb already with only 7% free. I just pushed it to 25, I need to go in and clear out those stupid logging tables, or find out why they are so huge and then delete them.

That should give us some growth room for the next month or so. Let me know ASAP if you see it again, because then it's not autogrowth.
Offline Mikey  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 8, 2016 7:58:57 PM(UTC)
Mikey

Logging into a relational database...
Offline The Author Guy  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 8, 2016 8:13:17 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

As I've just observed, some of this code is glitchy too.

There is something that happens every now and then, I think associated with synchronizing users in the forum and site where my DisplayName in the forum suddenly becomes my username.

No idea why, can't find any procedure that will do that. So I have a proc that changes it back.

I did a refresh, thought I saw no "Active Topics", refreshed again, they came back and "The Author Guy" for the latest posts were all "Jerry"

It's not that I mind it, but I use "The Author Guy" to be more unique than my username, as in someone else might have a preferred Display Name of Jerry something and I want no real ambiguity when posting ex-cathedra

Offline Mikey  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 8, 2016 8:16:52 PM(UTC)
Mikey

Offline The Author Guy  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, November 8, 2016 8:30:55 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Interesting!

Offline The Author Guy  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, November 8, 2016 8:32:07 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

OK!

It just did both!

Lost the forums and my Display Name flipped back again!

Something is wacky as heck!
Offline Mikey  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, November 8, 2016 8:35:15 PM(UTC)
Mikey

It's the tachyons, they are converging on this date.

... and I lost a post to the bug.
Offline The Author Guy  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, November 8, 2016 8:44:54 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Sorry on post, hate that.

I don't know why it's so bad today. Going to go through the logs.

It is quite possible it is the End Times Coming.

Offline The Author Guy  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, November 8, 2016 8:56:30 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

The forum synchronizer is blowing up something massive. I am pretty sure that's the issue.

Offline The Author Guy  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, November 8, 2016 9:04:15 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

I've disabled automatic synchronizer, pretty sure that's the issue be we are also maxing out RAM at the moment for some reason, cpu rather high as well.

Offline Mikey  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, November 8, 2016 10:13:34 PM(UTC)
Mikey

Is your indexer going through all the content, including the PDFs and the ZIPped EPUBs?
Offline The Author Guy  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, November 8, 2016 10:44:33 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

No,

Just the stuff in the database, and just the stuff in the forums.

The books themselves are just files on the server. The text content of the site is in the DB, the forums are in the db and the logs of the site and the logs of the forum are in the db.

The only tables with full-text indexes are the Message, Topics, Forum tables.

I have upped the memory, cpu, and doubled the IOPS on each of the virtual disks (they are on a RAIN).

Going to keep monitoring, there is a forum upgrade available, but don't want to do that while beta is going on.

The biggest problem with migrating to a new forum platform (or web platform) is content migration, getting the history of the forums over.

I supposed I could have a "historical forum" and a newer one, but that's not ideal for search.

Anyway, I"m next going to hack the forum log tables which are huge and basically contain craploads of debug information.
Offline Mikey  
#17 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2016 8:50:02 PM(UTC)
Mikey

You said that migrating the existing forums would be the most painful part of a forum software change?

Most of these forum web apps have fairly straightforward "thread" and "comment" tables which can be read and written with with a simple Python SQLAlchemy script. I can volunteer to do that, but can't guarantee that the password hash methods any two web applications use will be identical. Forcing people to change passwords through a "forgot" link should be easy, though.

https://github.com/YAFNE.../install/tables.sql#L405

Edited by user Friday, November 11, 2016 8:57:21 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline The Author Guy  
#18 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2016 9:10:10 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

I could do it too it's just time and such

And right now I'm scrambling that freaking EM forum because I moved a bunch of stuff to the wrong topic via typo
Offline The Author Guy  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, December 7, 2016 6:34:34 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Testing this topic to see if it is also broken on notifications.
Offline The Author Guy  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, December 7, 2016 6:35:40 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

trying a new setting