The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline The Author Guy  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, December 7, 2016 7:39:04 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 86 post(s)
Testing again.

Think I found problem. Think it was from address.
Offline The Author Guy  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, December 7, 2016 7:40:12 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

restarted app. see if that helps
Offline Iume  
#23 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2016 12:19:11 AM(UTC)
Iume

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 41 post(s)
I get mail when someone posts to a thread I posted in, but the URL is incorrect.

What I get: http://www.astlan.net/forum.aspx/Default.aspx?tabid=388&g=posts&m=6239#post6239
What i should be: http://www.astlan.net/De...osts&m=6239#post6239
Offline The Author Guy  
#24 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2016 12:27:36 AM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Yes, I've seen that, I thought it was a me thing, but now that I see the URL outside the box I see the problem.

Will check to see about fixing it.

Offline The Author Guy  
#25 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2016 1:26:32 AM(UTC)
The Author Guy

See if this works better!

Offline The Author Guy  
#26 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2016 1:30:57 AM(UTC)
The Author Guy

And we try again. The blank from email error happened again.

See if this post change link works/
Offline The Author Guy  
#27 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2016 1:32:36 AM(UTC)
The Author Guy

I hate borken bugs.

Let us see if this notification works.
Offline The Author Guy  
#28 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2016 1:34:48 AM(UTC)
The Author Guy

snarg I hate this bug.

Try to see if link works.
Offline The Author Guy  
#29 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2016 1:36:31 AM(UTC)
The Author Guy

OK, this should do it. Forgot that I have to restart the app when the email sender breaks and I have to fix it.

Links should be working now.
thanks 1 user thanked The Author Guy for this useful post.
EyeDeKay on 12/20/2016(UTC)
Offline Mikey  
#30 Posted : Saturday, June 9, 2018 8:44:52 PM(UTC)
Mikey

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 30 post(s)
It's time for my semi-annual reminder that there are actually good forum software packages around, many of which even support users staying logged in.

A third party was kind enough to package Discourse into a normal Docker image:
https://github.com/bitna...bitnami-docker-discourse
Offline The Author Guy  
#31 Posted : Saturday, June 9, 2018 10:06:23 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Yeah, but I'd have to port the history and then integrate it with the rest of the website content or port that somewhere as well.

I just wasted a couple months of non-work time completely rebuilding a couple of other hobby sites of mine and thus got no writing done on the other three books.

So right now I am having my routine morning anxiety attacks about how far behind I am on the three books I have promised....

At some point, I will need to redo this site and forums, the main site is a CMS and I am stuck on a very old version because the new version uses a very different technology (MVC vs webforms) and the theme generator I use doesn't work well with MVC (works great for php/bootstrap and lots of other stuff, but not MVC) So porting my theme(s) would be enough of a pain that I'd want to migrate everything to new platform---

I actually want to get it to something like joomla, drupal or worst case Wordpress, but the content migration is something I don't want to spend the time on yet, I'd rather be writing...so I don't have readers with pitchforks chasing me around the web...

Offline Mikey  
#32 Posted : Saturday, June 9, 2018 10:19:02 PM(UTC)
Mikey

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 30 post(s)
I believe that there have been credible volunteers offering their resources over the years?
Offline The Author Guy  
#33 Posted : Sunday, June 10, 2018 3:51:15 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

There have been...however...there are lots of creative and content oriented details that I control freak out over...

Authors are like DM's, GM's. They are control freaks and like to micromanage entire worlds...

Offline Iume  
#34 Posted : Friday, June 15, 2018 2:17:38 AM(UTC)
Iume

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 41 post(s)
I use Joomla3 for work and I'd say... be careful. It'll nickel & dime on the extensions and themes. It has some power, but it takes a while to get used to things (took me a couple of weeks of 8-5 research and practice before I figured most of it out). Admittedly once it is up and running it looks and works beautifully. That initial setup and learning is a killer though.
Offline The Author Guy  
#35 Posted : Friday, June 15, 2018 2:42:40 AM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Well in that case...sounds exactly like the sort of project I invariably take on. I have gone through tons of money on add ons and extensions to presumably free or low cost products....all of which take inordinate amounts of time.

I actually have test Joomla, Drupal and WP sites that I played with for a while. Those I can all get a semblance of the theme (or color variants if I wish), it's just the content...all the content and then what extensions work best...

Incredible amounts of playing around and experimenting--which is stuff I love to do--but which is generally not particularly productive when trying to get something out the door.

Hence my whole point of--I need to buckle down and focus on writing.

I was too tied up with day job and those other sites I got distracted on, to get much (anything other than edits) this spring and am finally back to story telling so trying to stay focused...