The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
3 Pages<123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Dungeon Roomba  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2016 4:20:18 PM(UTC)
Dungeon Roomba

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Too deep for me. I'm pretty shallow (metaphorically speaking, since I'm a cube).

The thing that jumped out at me from that quote, though, was that passion for your goals. Tom's only goal at this point is protecting the D'Orcs, and returning them to glory...which kind of means he'll have to go on the warpath at some point. Probably sooner rather than later.
Gelatinous Cube
(aka Dungeon Roomba)

"Because there's always a 10x10-foot room for Jell-O"
Offline Tizzy  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2016 7:47:06 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Yeah, not sure what I hear the orcs and D'Orcs talking about is going to line up well with what Tom is thinking.

Thinking their idea of a Restoration of Glory goes a bit beyond just clearing one's name and setting the record straight.

However, some things are getting turned again on their head as we move along into Book 3 and then to 4 and 5 and 6 and 7 and I have no idea...

BTW. Noticed commentary about F.o.L. in another thread from last night.

In book two we were more formally introduced to the F.o.G. and F.o.E. Forces of Good and Forces of Evil.

The F.o.L. and the F.o.D. are coming in book 3.

Of course, it will then start getting confusing because there are two different F.o.L.'s. One is opposed to the F.o.D. and the other is opposed to the F.o.C.

We met the F.o.C. at the end of Book 2.

And as my poor tuna canned friend is finding out, the F.o.G and the F.o.L. (vs F.o.D.) are not a union; they are more of an intersection.
Offline Mikey  
#23 Posted : Thursday, February 18, 2016 12:24:30 AM(UTC)
Mikey

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Forces of Lite vs. Forces of Deliciousness?

Mr. Buttah, Hilda, Trisfelt and I will certainly be in one corner, but the other? The Church of Tiernon seemed a bit ascetic.

Nonetheless, when smoothing out the wrinkles in the relationship between your populace and yourself, an external enemy does come in handy. If a teenager can't see this, certainly a bard can.

Edited by user Thursday, February 18, 2016 12:42:57 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Tizzy  
#24 Posted : Thursday, February 18, 2016 2:29:59 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

I could certainly join the Forces of Deliciousness.

It's been getting rather lonely in the F.o.B. (Forces of Butter). We've been closely aligned with the F.o.C. (The Forces of Cholesterol) so that helps.

Our biggest opponent is the FoMTMO (Forces of Movie Theater Motor Oil---that nasty fake butter than so many movie theaters like to use to save money) Oddly, they are also aligned with the F.o.C. Go figure.

Fortunately, the third F.o.D. (Forces of Doom) have plenty of enemies with more showing up in Book 3.

Well technically I suppose it would be more correct to say that Doom showed up on their doorstep and not the other way around.
Offline Mikey  
#25 Posted : Thursday, February 18, 2016 5:30:58 AM(UTC)
Mikey

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Originally Posted by: Tizzy Go to Quoted Post
Well technically I suppose it would be more correct to say that Doom showed up on their doorstep and not the other way around.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manichaeism#General

Some extra input data for good vs. evil.

Edited by user Thursday, February 18, 2016 7:20:17 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Tizzy  
#26 Posted : Thursday, February 18, 2016 4:23:11 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Oh yeah, my bud Mani! Haven't seen him for a while. He moved about a thousand years ago but forgot to tell me his new address.
This is not the first time a friend of mine has moved and forgotten to tell me where they were moving to. Odd, how forgetful some of my friends are.

Great guy; unfortunately for him he's now down here in the Abyss, somewhere. Happens to a lot of religious figures for some reason.

He spent his first century or two down here trying to figure out if the Abyss was a spiritual world of light or a material world of darkness.

It's actually a very difficult question to answer, as will become more evident in Book 3.

In any event, my answer, which he was not satisfied with, was that since it's always light down here; it's a world of light.

Yes, red light, but it's still light and it never gets dark.

Simple answers are always best for peace of mind.

Offline Mikey  
#27 Posted : Thursday, February 25, 2016 12:15:09 AM(UTC)
Mikey

Offline The Author Guy  
#28 Posted : Thursday, February 25, 2016 2:20:56 AM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 86 post(s)
ROFL

This is great stuff!

However, the one thing I found rather implausible about the show is that apparently, they expect us to believe that Melbourne doesn't have HD TV in 2016!

I'm sorry, but this anachronism clearly stretches the plausibility of the entire episode, calling everything else into question!

Going to binge the other 5 now!

Thanks!

Offline Iume  
#29 Posted : Monday, May 2, 2016 8:30:15 PM(UTC)
Iume

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 41 post(s)
I am re-reading book 2 in preparation of being a beta demon for book 3 and I ran across this line, "However, both Völund and I were off plane at the time, or things might have gone differently.” Phaestus frowned at the memory. “That was a very big mistake. All four key players gone at the same time. One we shall not repeat”

So, who was the fourth key player?

We have:
Volund
Hephaestus
Orcus
???

One of the djinn, another demon, Tisdale, someone else?
Offline Dungeon Roomba  
#30 Posted : Tuesday, May 3, 2016 1:39:48 PM(UTC)
Dungeon Roomba

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Hey, I noticed that line as well, but kept forgetting to mention it. That's a VERY good question, and several good suggestions on the fourth player.
Gelatinous Cube
(aka Dungeon Roomba)

Offline The Author Guy  
#31 Posted : Tuesday, May 3, 2016 3:37:05 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Hmm, very good question and very similar to one that Tom and Tamarin are asking in Book 3.
Offline Iume  
#32 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2016 3:28:00 AM(UTC)
Iume

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

The musing of Hilda & co regarding Rupert's parentage makes me wonder whether demons are restricted to one gender or not. What's to stop a male demon from turning female or a female from being male? What about being an incubus / succubus. Is that actually restricted to specific individuals or can demons shapeshift as needed?
Offline Dungeon Roomba  
#33 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2016 1:06:37 PM(UTC)
Dungeon Roomba

I'm thinking that it's not such a matter of power, but mental flexibility. Not every demon can shapeshift. From what's been said so far, many demons have the power and ability, but can't seem to get their minds wrapped around being another individual. Now add in being another GENDER which you have no mental reference for, and it becomes exponentially more difficult.

So, to answer your question, I'd think it'd be possible, but not likely. The individual in question would have to be VERY mentally flexible, have the requisite power, and have a very stable self-identity to be able to switch back and forth. Kind of narrows the field down a bit.

Tom could probably do it, but I'm thinking it would cause a lot more problems with him getting laid. Whistle
Gelatinous Cube
(aka Dungeon Roomba)

Offline Tizzy  
#34 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2016 1:41:52 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Hmm,

Interesting points. If you can shape shift into horribly disgusting forms; you know, like a human being, then you should be able to change your gender.

However, I don't know of too many that do. It's not at all common. I have heard stories of gods doing, fairly often, so I'd bet demons could

But I think you point on being comfortable in the form.

Most cisgendered individuals would find it uncomfortable, but transgendered and more exotically gendered people could have fun.

And, now that I think of it, there are definitely hermaphrodite and hermaphrodite++ demons; so...the answer is most likely yes for those that can shift; and/or shift easily. I am a ciscisgendered male myself; I can do a threesome with just one other person (I prefer the ladies myself--although Reggie is pretty temptiing, but that's cause he's an incubus, so he cheats).

As mentioned some people can really only manage to memorize two forms; demon princes, which as we shall see in book iii, can have a large number of forms; as, for that matter can archdemons. I think we've seen several for Ramses. Bess has a lot, but she's actually a goddess.

Exador mostly looks like Exador (at various ages); and honestly, that is enough to scare the crap out of most people.

As far as incubuses and succubuses or incubae and succubae, they are distinct, and a different form of demon. You can't shape change into one of them; and if you are one of them, you could maybe look like the other one, but your powers are tied to which you really are.

Offline Dungeon Roomba  
#35 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2016 12:44:59 PM(UTC)
Dungeon Roomba

Originally Posted by: Tizzy Go to Quoted Post
Hmm,
As mentioned some people can really only manage to memorize two forms; demon princes, which as we shall see in book iii, can have a large number of forms; as, for that matter can archdemons. I think we've seen several for Ramses. Bess has a lot, but she's actually a goddess.

Which makes Tom very interesting, as at the end of ITA, he didn't go to a memorized form, he made up one on the spot that he'd never taken before. Sure, he had a glob of god-mana in him, but that didn't seem to change the difficulty, just made it easier to do.
Gelatinous Cube
(aka Dungeon Roomba)

Offline Mikey  
#36 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2016 1:08:46 PM(UTC)
Mikey

Originally Posted by: Gelcube Go to Quoted Post
Which makes Tom very interesting, as at the end of ITA, he didn't go to a memorized form, he made up one on the spot that he'd never taken before.

Or does Tom really have some unconscious connection to Sporkus, and pulled the form from those memories?

Surely T-A-G didn't break continuity just for some cheap storytelling convenience, like some dirty LitRPG hippie?
Offline The Author Guy  
#37 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2016 4:15:55 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

I wouldn't read too much into Tom's alternate human form. He didn't put much thought into it.

His thinking was: "I want to appear human, like him, to show him that demons aren't that different from humans; but I don't want anyone to recognize Edwyrd."

So he rather on the fly created a generic human form, that was similar to Edwyrd, but with some differences so he wouldn't be recognized. He was filled with god mana and had resources to burn in the heat of battle.

I very much doubt if he could recreate that form again, since he really didn't memorize it.

Now, all that being said, the ability to create an adhoc form and hold it for any length of time without it shifting or melting or turning red and horny is an impressive thing. However, he didn't have to hold it that long, and only talarius had a close up view, and might not have been paying attention if things like eye color/shape of nose were sort of fluid from moment to moment.

The real trick (as will be discussed more in book 3) is consistency and detail. It's much easier if you can fudge the details of the form from use to use.

However, people who know you well will eventually notice.
Sort of like a mole on the king's face moving around.
Offline Iume  
#38 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2016 7:34:41 PM(UTC)
Iume

Speaking of Tom's multiple forms, I hope he learns multiple Orc forms (one for each world / Orc type). Since this requires a lot of shapeshifting he'll need many outfits so he should learn how to access hammerspace just like Tizzy and Antefalken.
Offline Dungeon Roomba  
#39 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2016 9:00:16 PM(UTC)
Dungeon Roomba

Originally Posted by: The Author Guy Go to Quoted Post

Now, all that being said, the ability to create an adhoc form and hold it for any length of time without it shifting or melting or turning red and horny is an impressive thing. However, he didn't have to hold it that long, and only talarius had a close up view, and might not have been paying attention if things like eye color/shape of nose were sort of fluid from moment to moment.

Ah, but he managed to hold the shape even after getting stabbed in the gut by Gutthis Morthis, or whatever it was called.
Gelatinous Cube
(aka Dungeon Roomba)

Offline The Author Guy  
#40 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2016 9:17:01 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Yes, he held it, he was hunched over, so not sure if anyone would have noticed moles moving around his face with all scrunched up.

But you are correct, he did, he kept it together.

And, yes, book 3 will be dealing with various forms and clothing/wardrobe quite explicitly.