The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Tizzy  
#21 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 12:10:53 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 44 post(s)
That is theoretically true, however, that is a very long term view that only truly old demons have.

Most of the younger demons (<3,000 years) are too recently traumatized to take this perspective.

In part this is because writing systems tend to only reliably last for so long, so eventually, most demon's true names are forgotten. I.e. once a wizard's civilization is existential dust, their old demon slaves don't get summoned and bound that much, since they've been forgotten.

Interestingly, of course, this is something that is discussed in more detail in Book 3...or so T-A-G tells me. I wasn't part of those conversations, so I don't know...well, maybe a few of them, or maybe all of them, but I don't recall.

I mean, how many people on Earth remember the names of demons over 5,776 years ago? (Hint, many of them don't think their planet even existed before that)

Although, of course, they do seem to recall Lilith, and Sammael (although obviously not their true names).

And they are well over 5,776 years; although I won't say by how much because it is impolite (and incredibly painful in this case) to reveal a lady's age.
Offline Mikey  
#22 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 6:27:55 PM(UTC)
Mikey

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Just how seriously *do* the older demons take board games?

You know, those guys on the eternal cruise ship of Styx, slamming down Denubian Choco-Coffees™ and sitting down for that decade-long game of chess?
Offline Tizzy  
#23 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 7:39:47 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Well, like with the gods, the chess boards are actually the planes of men.

And they can be centuries long. I point out that both Ramses and Exador have admitted to playing chess games in Astlan with the Anilords on various sides.

And as we'll see in Book 3, they are not at all the only ones.

But as for my buds, we mainly play whist. Although, Reggie has introduced a new card game called poker. Tamarin and I seem to be cleaning up very nicely.

Offline Mikey  
#24 Posted : Saturday, April 2, 2016 1:19:22 PM(UTC)
Mikey

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Quote:
Well, like with the gods, the chess boards are actually the planes of men.

Asmodeus

Edited by user Saturday, April 2, 2016 1:20:48 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Tizzy  
#25 Posted : Saturday, April 2, 2016 10:00:55 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

ROFL

Applause

For those who didn't quite get the reference description of Asmodeus in the conversation about Egary Gygax, that is exactly what Smody looks like! Although, fortunately he typically wears more clothes!

Offline Mikey  
#26 Posted : Saturday, April 16, 2016 1:50:53 PM(UTC)
Mikey

So what does it mean to live tens of hundreds of millenia in the Abyss?

Are you interacting and learning at a rate somewhat comparable to the middle decades of a human existence?

If so, is your personality going to stay stable enough, that someone you knew a millennium ago would recognize you still as the same person?

What does it mean for long-term alliances, when they are forged on internal, collaborative creation, and not external pressures? Are such things possible at all, outside the human scale?

Would a truly long-term alliance require a fairly specific, and well-worded contract? With constantly changing circumstances, would it even be possible to absolutely keep one's word, or would every provision of such an arrangement stand on a sliding scale of payables and receivables?

If you have to choose between bad and worse on a daily basis, wouldn't it pretty much guarantee that each member of a truly long-lived species has committed some atrocities a few times over the years?

Offline Tizzy  
#27 Posted : Saturday, April 16, 2016 3:35:19 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Quote:

So what does it mean to live tens of hundreds of millenia in the Abyss?

10s of Hundreds of thousands of years->millions of years.

Well, I think the biggest thing is that you eventually figure out where all the bathrooms are located.
And where all the skeletons are buried, hoping of course, that they stay buried and don't come marching on you sword and shield in hand.

You get really good at whist.

You also pretty much piss everybody else off sharing your accumulated wisdom.

I fear T-A-G won't let me say too much on this issue because book 3 starts going there....
Offline Mikey  
#28 Posted : Saturday, April 16, 2016 4:57:55 PM(UTC)
Mikey

Sorry, tens TO hundreds of millenia.
Offline Tizzy  
#29 Posted : Sunday, April 17, 2016 11:43:21 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Thanks that makes me feel younger.

Cool.
Offline Mikey  
#30 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2016 7:57:33 PM(UTC)
Mikey

Originally Posted by: Tizzy Go to Quoted Post
Cool.

Too cool for school, eh?

Wtf, my YouTube links don't work?

Edited by user Monday, April 18, 2016 7:59:15 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Tizzy  
#31 Posted : Wednesday, April 20, 2016 1:23:40 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

That is very cool!

Yeah, sounds like a normal orc reaction if you ask me.