The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Tisslils  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 4, 2017 7:00:44 PM(UTC)
Tisslils

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

They're one of the more interesting races, and there is a serious dearth of books about Dwarves. Simply not enough books are centered on them. Unacceptable.
T-A-G should have a role centered on them and Ptah as well as the other Dwarven deities. To see how they play a role in the Multiverse and influenced its history rather than being a side-race.

As far as I can tell, they have a more nuanced relationship with the world.
Offline Tizzy  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 4, 2017 7:32:37 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 44 post(s)
They do, and that's also why there aren't as many D'Dwarves, proportionally.

T-A-G has always been interested in doing stories on the Mogradin Association.

They will start to play a bigger role in DOA as well as battle lines get drawn and we get down to slaughtering elves, which is really a favorite pastime of the D'Orcs.

Unfortunately, it didn't go quite as well as we expected last time....eeeshh....

Dwarves are, after all, jotnar related, somewhat distantly, one group is tall and stocky, the other short and stocky, but they tend to get along better with humans and elves etc than most of the jotnar.

And of course, by somewhat better, I mean that they get along reasonably well with humans and heartheans, and don't automatically try to kill every elf on sight. Orcs on the other hand, well, for them, there are only two things worse than an elf. An elven lawyer and an elven diplomat.

Phaestus forbid they encounter an elven diplomat with a law degree...

Offline Tisslils  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 5, 2017 9:53:35 PM(UTC)
Tisslils

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Originally Posted by: Tizzy Go to Quoted Post
They do, and that's also why there aren't as many D'Dwarves, proportionally.

I'd like to meet a D'Dwarf. Must be strange being not so small anymore after the D'dwarving. Do their beards become autonomous weapons after the descension?

Quote:

T-A-G has always been interested in doing stories on the Mogradin Association.

They will start to play a bigger role in DOA as well as battle lines get drawn and we get down to slaughtering elves, which is really a favorite pastime of the D'Orcs.

Unfortunately, it didn't go quite as well as we expected last time....eeeshh....

Dwarves are, after all, jotnar related, somewhat distantly, one group is tall and stocky, the other short and stocky, but they tend to get along better with humans and elves etc than most of the jotnar.

And of course, by somewhat better, I mean that they get along reasonably well with humans and heartheans, and don't automatically try to kill every elf on sight. Orcs on the other hand, well, for them, there are only two things worse than an elf. An elven lawyer and an elven diplomat.

Phaestus forbid they encounter an elven diplomat with a law degree...

Seems the dwarf gods don't have clear sets of rules, don't you think? Ptah and other Dwarven gods have a bit of splaining to do for why the rules change in different verses. They'll split open some orcs in some localverse, spitroast some elves in another, or even put ransoms on the heads of humans. At least they're consistent with the rules within the localverse, but... seems a bit Schizophrenic, don't you think?

I also wonder if Sekhmet and Phaestus' 2 kids will pop up anytime in DoA?
Offline Tizzy  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 5, 2017 10:31:18 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

They certainly could pop up...

Dwarves are pragamatic, as are their gods. It's more about "who's pissing me off in this localverse" than hardcore ideology. For one thing, the elves have different gods in different localverses as well.

But let's also note that in the Nordic realms, we have Dökkálfar and Ljósálfar (similar to Astlan's Dok Alfar and Los Alfar) and many scholars on Earth believe that the
Dökkálfar and/or svartálfar (literally "the black elves) are the dwarves.

So there is some confusion if the dwarves are actually a type of elf.

However, to be clear the Dökkálfar and svartálfar are not the same thing, The Dökkálfar are the Astlanian Dok Alfar, and the svartálfar are the dwarves. A name which, btw, really annoys them. (the Æsir are responsible for it, of course)

Svartálfaheimr is where a large number of dwarves live and where Loki finds the dwarf Andvari, and where the Æsir seek someone to craft Gleipnir to bind the wolf Fenrir.

Now, as you probably know Loki screwed over Andvari, and I can personally assure you that Phaestus had absolutely nothing to do with that endeavor, even though Andvari and Phaestus never got along. I mean it's not like Loki and Phaestus ever got stoned and Phaestus accidentally blurted certain details about Andvari or anything at all.

I am sure I'd have remembered something like that, and I certainly don't.

Offline EyeDeKay  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 6, 2017 3:00:16 AM(UTC)
EyeDeKay

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Is it true that dwarves name everything they make, and don't use mass production? Remember reading that some were ...
Offline Tizzy  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 6, 2017 4:58:51 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Of course!

First, for dwarves, crafting, creating, it's an act of creation. Of birthing. They give their heart, their spirit to it, much like having a child.

Actually, both Volund and Phaestus have said that the ability to "commit one's heart, one's soul to one's creation" is the mark of Master Craftsmanship. It's on that basis that the dwarven masters award the status of "Masters"

non-masters are unable to imbue the essence of their spirit to their crafts, their birthings.

If it is a birthing then clearly it must have a true name. Yes?

I will not even deign to answer the implied insult of "mass production"

You say that phrase near a dwarf and you're likely to get your head pounded into a diaper! I.e. your head becomes a diaper and you have to eat...well, I'll leave that to your imagination. Hopefully, you have encountered infants and realized the sensitivity of their digestive tract.

Offline Iume  
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 6, 2017 5:36:01 AM(UTC)
Iume

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 41 post(s)
I'm trying to imagine a dwarven smith naming each every nail, every hinge, every non-weapon or armor item that is forged.
Offline Dirk Flamberge  
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 6, 2017 2:21:04 PM(UTC)
Dirk Flamberge

Groups: ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I'm pretty sure there are people who make those nails, and they're lower in society, or something. Or they import them. Either that or objects that aren't of war or something impressive probably don't count.
Offline Tizzy  
#9 Posted : Thursday, April 6, 2017 3:51:48 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

The question is, however, is the nail to be a part of a larger project or stand on its own?

That, I think--but do not know--is probably the key. So for example, they may be able to use more generic/temporary "subnames" for parts of a project.

I.e. all the bones in the body have names, "Distal Phalange 2" So, if the final project was a golem, for example Gurnge the Golem, you might have "Gurnge Distal Phalange 2" as the name.

So for nails, forged by Urin, Urin's House Nail #347?

Obviously, good record keeping is important as is some how identifying each nail...maybe you carve on it?