The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline The Author Guy  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 5, 2021 9:28:57 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 86 post(s)
Hi,

So I am looking at alternative ways of doing the Beta this time around. In the past, that meant creating PDF's or E-Books for people to download and read and then lots of discussions in the given Beta Demon Forum for that book.

To say this was a bit cumbersome and time consuming is an understatement.

So, I am looking at Beta Reader software solutions.

Two that I have found, so far, please let me know if you know of others you have used or like are:

BetaBooks.co
and

BetaReader.io

They have somewhat different feature sets, one big difference is that BetaReader.io lets people read and comment via an App on Apple and Android devices as well as the web, whereas betabooks.co is a website that works in "any" web browser, in theory.

BetaBooks.co is very chapter oriented, BetaReader.io is more holistic and entire book oriented.

Has anyone used any of these either as a reader or writer?

Any thoughts on ease of use for those of you planning on becoming OOA:ITN Beta Demons?

T-A-G
Offline Lunarmage  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 25, 2021 4:58:13 PM(UTC)
Lunarmage

Groups: ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

I think that the .io is probably going to give you the most feedback from the readers.
Offline The Author Guy  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 25, 2021 11:45:23 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Have you used them or know anyone that has?

I haven't used either.
Offline Lunarmage  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 26, 2021 9:36:26 AM(UTC)
Lunarmage

Groups: ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

I haven't used it, but based on what they record of the reader, it should give you an idea how fast people are reading, what they like the most (or don't) as well as the written feedback they provide as beta readers.
Offline The Author Guy  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 26, 2021 11:42:48 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

They have a lot of attractive features, but the other one does too. I was going back and forth leaning to .io, mainly on the lines you just mentioned. but then something drug me back towards .co, I think it was the reporting organization.

I can find reviews of each, albeit more for .co, but no one really comparing both.

I'm just going to have to pick one and try it, if there are problems, do the other one for Book IV.

That's the real kicker since it's twice as long, and has a lot more intersecting storylines to keep consistent. OOA is a single POV and storyline so it shouldn't require as much mental gymnastics to keep everything straight.
Offline Dungeon Roomba  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2021 1:05:51 AM(UTC)
Dungeon Roomba

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
TAG, I think you're going to just flip a coin and pick one. Then change if it doesn't work out.

Oooor, you could do a beta test...of the beta testers. Write a few paragraphs, and invite Betas to sign up and try each one. See how each one handles things. Bit of trouble, but you might uncover some glaring deficiencies.

When I say write a few paragraphs, I just mean some nonsense or maybe some of your reference notes. Just something to test the systems.

Edited by user Tuesday, July 27, 2021 1:07:17 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gelatinous Cube
(aka Dungeon Roomba)

"Because there's always a 10x10-foot room for Jell-O"
Offline The Author Guy  
#7 Posted : Saturday, July 31, 2021 7:42:05 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Yeah, I'm sort of betting I pick the wrong one and will want to switch for Book IV.

One nice thing about OOA:ITN being a guinea pig is that it's 1) shorter and 2) single POV.

The single POV means basically one storyline to keep straight. With multiple story lines there is much more work on the timing of when things happen and flipping things around a bit gets trickier.

I am really hoping that the software makes it easier to keep track of such stuff.