The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Killblah  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 26, 2014 10:34:07 PM(UTC)
Killblah

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Hi, I've been on the forum a while now and i just wanted to post a question.

Are there going to be a few novels devoted to developing character back story, Like how Tizzy and Boggy met, How Rupert joined the School, Or is it just going to be mentioned in the main book series?
Offline The Author Guy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 27, 2014 3:29:56 AM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 86 post(s)
I think that depends on the character and circumstance.

I know there will be "short" stories about some of them. And by "short" I mean novelette. Not sure I can write in less than 200 pages.

But I'm thinking of doing short stories for several, and not sure if those will be in an anthology or just free on the web/this site.

Right now, thinking free on this site, and then collected for people who want a "volume/book" and charging a minimal price for the anthology, they could otherwise read for free here at this site.

comments/thoughts/recommendations welcome...
Offline Killblah  
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 27, 2014 2:32:54 PM(UTC)
Killblah

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Thanks for the reply, I know i would love to read some of the short stories, And if you did publish them having several in one book would probably work best since there would be more to read.Drool
Offline Maou  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2014 4:17:59 AM(UTC)
Maou

Groups: Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Think Out of curiosity is their any characters back story that anybody is most interested, either as a whole or a single aspect of their background. I really want to know whom you others want to know more about?
Offline Madfox11  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2014 9:36:37 AM(UTC)
Madfox11

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Antefalken, Exador and Lenamare. I am especially curious about the whole theft of the book thing. Sounds like an interesting story...
Offline Korwin  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2014 12:29:44 PM(UTC)
Korwin

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Catgirl!
Offline The Author Guy  
#7 Posted : Thursday, October 23, 2014 4:27:51 AM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Catgirl's back story, I can promise is coming big time...in book 2 even....

I am seriously thinking about a prequel with the retrieval of the book. Lenamare's henchmen will be showing up in the not to distant future...so their original adventure is something of interest to me. It's very unusual fantasy story, if you haven't guessed (powerful wizard hires a party of adventurers to get magic artifact for him--I am sure none of you have ever encountered this plot line)--the big trick is that it takes place in Oorstemoth so the dialog is a bit taxing to write...

Antefalken's backstory is very very long (as is Exador's) I am thinking those two are a whole bunch of adventures spanning across a few thousand years.

Lenamare is human, so his back story is easier in that it only spans decades...

Offline Rosver  
#8 Posted : Thursday, October 23, 2014 5:07:45 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Groups: Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I like back stories in very small amounts becuase a character's behaviour and thought process often reveal much of their past.

Many books I have read have back stories that are too obstructive. There are even books out there that are mostly backstories and very little actual story. I also quite suspect that backstories are used by many books to cover up the lack of actual story/plot of their book.

Still it might be interesting to know some adventures the characters have in the past.
Offline The Author Guy  
#9 Posted : Thursday, October 23, 2014 1:44:00 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

I agree, there is a lot to be said for allowing the first impression of a character to stick as the record.

Which is why I am thinking more short story back stories. And maybe not so much biography as "incidents in the life of" which is particularly interesting and relevant for people who've been around for a long time.

There are actually authors who manage to write a book with a character and then go back and write origin stories and pull it off. Michael Moorcock and Marion Zimmer Bradley come to mind.

Speaking of MZB, I will once again bring up my recommendation for her brother's work: PEZ Paul Edwin Zimmer (now deceased) who wrote the Dark Border series. If you want to see the blue print for A Song of Ice and Fire, that's it (although the pre blue print goes back to JRRT and before that Thomas Mallory I supposed and then Beowulf).
Offline Flakes  
#10 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2014 5:45:41 AM(UTC)
Flakes

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Baby's got Back (story)?

I like big narrative arcs and I cannot lie.
Offline Tizzy  
#11 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2014 2:11:22 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Well, in the next part of the arc, the Incubus will "Bring Sexy Back"

Offline Rosver  
#12 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2014 4:02:54 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Groups: Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

@Tizzy:

You seem so obssesed with the Incubus. It gives you some favor or something?
Offline Maou  
#13 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2014 5:30:00 AM(UTC)
Maou

I would like to bring up questioning were Tizzy's weed and pipe. I really want to know where he got them, how he manages his supply, and where he keeps them. It might not be as bad as I think it is.
Offline Rosver  
#14 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2014 1:33:24 PM(UTC)
Rosver

Tizzy might get irritated at you for bringing that up.
Offline Tizzy  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, October 28, 2014 6:25:42 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Yes, people who keep talking about my pipe are obviously looking to get their hands on my stash.

It's almost as annoying as that stupid incubus.

I'm not obsessed with him, but I just don't think he's honest and I'm afraid he might be telling lies about me.

In book 2, don't trust anything he says, OK? (same for books 3 to 99)
Offline Rosver  
#16 Posted : Thursday, October 30, 2014 10:06:52 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Well, I think you are obsessed. You can't seem to stop thinking about him. Do you envy him somehow?
Offline Tizzy  
#17 Posted : Thursday, October 30, 2014 9:29:34 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Just looking out for people. Don't want them snookered.
Offline Rosver  
#18 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2014 1:39:55 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Awwww. You are looking out for us. You have such a big heart.
Offline Tizzy  
#19 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2014 4:30:27 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

I do!

I wish more people recognized it!
Offline Maou  
#20 Posted : Saturday, November 15, 2014 2:27:14 AM(UTC)
Maou

I thought Tizzy had at least two hearts.

Anyways we see are heroes in a land where superstition and paranoia run rampant. Where fantasy can warp reality, and belief can alter the fabric of things.

Trust nobody unless you have direct access to their mind. Having complete control over the free will of another being is the best way to ensure their loyalty. Not the manipulation of wizards, but true dominance over their being. All else is done at your own risk.