The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline The Author Guy  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 18, 2021 4:41:32 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 86 post(s)
Hi,

Getting there on the beta. Currently setting up the forums and starting to accumulate a mailing list of those who have expressed interest.

To see the Beta Forums for a book (here) you need to join the ITN Beta Demon Group via a link

There was an old bug in this system where the overall site and the forum weren't syncing group/role memberships properly.

Consequently, when you clicked on the link to join the Beta Demon, it took a while for the forums to sign up. Not sure how I fixed that before, I think I said, "wait 24 hours' to see it due to a scheduling thing.

However, I now think its a weird cookie thing.

If you click on the link (while logged in) then logout and back in, with a new browser window, the content shows up.

So here's the link, try it out, you'll be ahead of the game as I iron out the kinks, get Betabooks ready etc.

Beta Demon me Into The Night

Then either wait a day to see it, or logout/close your brower/restart/login and you should see the forums.

Not much to see, yet, but...slowly but slowly

T-A-G

Offline overrclocked  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2021 7:37:07 PM(UTC)
overrclocked

Groups: ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

I don't think this is working for me. Followed the instructions but I don't see anything.
Offline The Author Guy  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2021 8:46:05 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Hmm

I don't see you in either the site group or the forum group (they are two things that are supposed to sync up)

When you click on the link below, while signed in, it puts you in the "site" group which at some point syncs with the forum (hence the browser fiddling)

This is the "Beta Demon me Into The Night" link below
https://astlan.world/Default.aspx?rsvp=Empire&portalid=9

Offline The Author Guy  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2021 8:53:55 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Still fiddling with it, but you might try the link again.
Offline The Author Guy  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2021 9:49:36 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

So I tried another pure test user that had no real memberships.

Clicking the link, logging out, closing out and then back in and I was able to see it.

Going to narrow it down some more.

But for whatever reason, I think you didn't get the link clicked quite right because you weren't in the main site group.

Offline overrclocked  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2021 11:34:23 PM(UTC)
overrclocked

So in detail what happens is if I click the link, it takes me to the home page and logs me out. Every time I click the link (both original and the new one you provided) this happens.
Offline Iume  
#7 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2021 5:11:24 AM(UTC)
Iume

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 41 post(s)
Hold down Shift and click on the reload button for the main forum page whilst logged in. This will clear the cache and force it to load a new copy which includes the proper links.
Offline The Author Guy  
#8 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2021 5:52:47 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

It is supposed to take you to the homepage and optionally download a file I specify.

However, I don't have a file to specify. So, yeah, it's just weird.

But, log you out? That's exceptionally weird, all my test people stay logged in and have to log out manually.
Offline The Author Guy  
#9 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2021 5:58:33 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

What browser are you using? PC or Mac, I can test on a Mac, really should.

I still don't see you in the Site Group either so whatever is logging you out is causing the core problem.

I had really hoped to be gone from this ancient rickety site well before any beta, but it came down to "write" or "screw with website" and I chose "write"

I see the process worked for Lume, the forum shows ITN Beta Demons as a group.

At the end of the day, I can just check a box for you to force it. I am just trying to 'debug' the thing before a wide announcement.

T-A-G
Offline overrclocked  
#10 Posted : Sunday, August 22, 2021 12:36:34 AM(UTC)
overrclocked

Yea it's wierd. I am using a PC and google chrome. If I can't get in, please manually enter me into the beta. If Tom needs another warlock, I think I'm ready to sell my soul for a beta key lol.

Edited by user Sunday, August 22, 2021 1:24:53 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Tisslils  
#11 Posted : Sunday, August 22, 2021 12:41:16 AM(UTC)
Tisslils

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Yeah, clicking the link just logs me out. I'm on a mac and on chrome. Logging back in and clicking on it again, makes me not log out again. But then I only see the homepage, and not any additional download or forum access.

edit: Nvm, after doing it multiple times. The beta tab of the forums finally popped up.

Edited by user Sunday, August 22, 2021 12:48:17 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline The Author Guy  
#12 Posted : Sunday, August 22, 2021 2:40:02 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

that logout thing on the Mac is weird, it really shouldn't do that.

From my tests, it's not completely random about when the Beta Forums popup.

Last time, when I used the same mechanism, I thought the syncing of the forums was on a scheduler, e.g. told people to wait a day.

Turns out that it's tied to a cookie thing. And not Tizzy's.

You have to click the link (and hopefully stay in) and then logoff (don't think totally necessary) but then close the browser (preferably all tabs) and then reopen and login again, that clears the cookies.

What a pain, this thing is just so old and rickety. I'd intended to be on the new site by now, But this should be the last Beta here.

I am going to do "something" before the Book IV beta.

T-A-G
Offline overrclocked  
#13 Posted : Sunday, August 22, 2021 6:30:52 PM(UTC)
overrclocked

I used the microsoft edge explorer. On my second try it worked. Guess it could be a google chrome thing.
Offline The Author Guy  
#14 Posted : Sunday, August 22, 2021 8:22:59 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Hmm, I tried IE and it had the same sort of problems as Chrome in terms of not showing up without closing.

I didn't try Edge since it's "chrome inside" but that is more the rendering image and may not include cookies.

Will try.
Offline Lodrik  
#15 Posted : Saturday, August 28, 2021 7:06:21 PM(UTC)
Lodrik

the links send me to the "Oak Orks of the Antilles" side (description of the book), is that correct?
Offline The Author Guy  
#16 Posted : Saturday, August 28, 2021 7:52:40 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

What it should do is take you to the main page, but leave you logged in.

There seems to be a Cooking problem that blocks people from seeing the newly permissioned folders, so you have to clear your temporary cookies before you can see the new forums.

The easiest thing to do is logoff, close your browser, open a new browser and log back in and then you should see the new forums (which are boring at the moment)

Offline Lodrik  
#17 Posted : Sunday, August 29, 2021 4:50:55 PM(UTC)
Lodrik

the "Beta Demons Only" area is the new part?
Offline Tizzy  
#18 Posted : Sunday, August 29, 2021 6:15:44 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 44 post(s)
If fully in, in the Beta Demons Only area you should see a forum called OOA: Into the Night Beta

That's the main area where links and announcements and general discussions are. The actual beta (meaning the book) will be at betabooks.co

And the link to see it there will be in OOA: Into the Night Beta
Offline Tizzy  
#19 Posted : Sunday, August 29, 2021 6:22:17 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Lodrik, yours was a bit iffy, there are two of you with different emails but both from the same country, so guessing both you, Lodrik and Lodrik0, but I think I have the correct you added to the correct groups.

You should be able to see the OOA: Into the Night Beta forum now.
Offline Tizzy  
#20 Posted : Sunday, August 29, 2021 6:26:21 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Oh, yeah and if you are in a group, it shows up by your name box in your posts.