The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline The Author Guy  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2015 1:30:55 AM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 86 post(s)
The Second Edition is coming next week!

Main time constraint is the Dead Tree Format and Galley process....

Here is a sneak peak at the new cover

Into the Abyss, Second Edition

Image is by Jacob Atienza or jubjubjedi

The image is set, the text and bar at top can be changed/rearranged if people have suggestions.

Here is a second version

Update 6/7 Here is a no bar at the top edition

Edited by user Monday, June 8, 2015 12:18:27 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Anskier  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 30, 2015 11:16:46 PM(UTC)
Anskier

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'd go with the top one for the text

Offline Pathologic  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 31, 2015 8:03:26 AM(UTC)
Pathologic

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

I agree with Anskier.

Your book description to book two on goodreads coincides with the one in Into the Abyss.

Edited by user Sunday, May 31, 2015 8:06:13 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Rosver  
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 31, 2015 8:10:54 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Groups: Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I like the top one.

By the way. Beautiful illustrations. Like to restart my fan art. Thanks.
Offline Tizzy  
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 31, 2015 4:42:13 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 44 post(s)
That's where I've been leaning.

In theory the titling can be never ending...going through a billion fonts/sizes/placements/material effects...

Be sure to check out some of his other works at jubjubjedi.deviantart.com
Offline Rosver  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 2, 2015 8:02:45 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Groups: Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

The works on the deviantart seems to be of a different in style compared to the book cover art. Is this intensional?

Edited by user Tuesday, June 2, 2015 8:07:14 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Tizzy  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, June 2, 2015 4:24:05 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

I suppose to some extent.

He actually has a fairly wide set of styles. Initially we were thinking first generation of covers for the Myth Adventure books (the slightly more classic style than the zanier later books)

But then through discussions just sort of came around to this.

Here is one he did that is very different in style from most of his other works http://jubjubjedi.deviantart.com/art/Mystical-Owl-505879218

I think this one is closer in style to the cover we ended up with

http://jubjubjedi.deviantart.com/art/The-Summoning-259359296

We spent quite a bit of time discussing Tom and ended up going with something like Zodd the Immortal

He took the three wizards from my images on the site. I was very surprised/pleased with those, they look very classic fantasy ala Darrell K Sweet, Rowena, etc.
Offline Rosver  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, June 2, 2015 6:13:50 PM(UTC)
Rosver

There is still marked difference, though I think it is because the book art is less polished compared to the work in the deviantart page. More sketchy.
Offline Tizzy  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, June 2, 2015 6:48:46 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Hmm,

I don't quite see that, if anything I think I like it better than some of the deviant art stuff.

Also, one thing I did notice is, and it's a bit of a concern, is that the book cover gets a lot better when it's blown up to full size.

The real image is very large, this is a shrunk version and what most people will see in the book store is shrunk smaller yet.

But if you take it to full screen size it does, in my eye, get better.

Once released there will be a bigger version on the site. Also if you click on the image in this topic you'll see a somewhat bigger version.

Offline Tizzy  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, June 2, 2015 6:52:24 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Looking at again, I may be differently interpreting what you mean by polish and sketchy.

This image is a bit more detailed than some of the deviant art. And in particular, Tom is drawn with a lot more heavy lines, and is less flowing/fluid than some of his other stuff. This is intentional to give a more gut level fear quality I guess you'd call it.
Offline Anskier  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, June 2, 2015 8:07:46 PM(UTC)
Anskier

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
For the image - Why is he looking over to the left?

He is facing and pointing forward toward the other people, but looking off to the left apparently at nothing. That seems odd to me

Edited by user Tuesday, June 2, 2015 8:10:36 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline The Author Guy  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, June 2, 2015 8:28:54 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Ha! It's not just me! I asked the same question when I first saw it and asked, shouldn't he be looking at Lenamare or one of the wizards?

What Tom is supposed to be doing is looking at his hand/claws in terror/fascination. The blue glow is the magic of first formation/materialization.

We went back and forth on the blue light of materialization. If we hadn't done the light, I'd have had the artist draw him looking at Lenamare or Trisfelt.

However, I decided I wanted to keep the blue light since as you shrink the cover it helps Tom stand out as the stones get rather dark towards the top.

So I then decided to keep him looking at his hand/claws because as he forms he's going to be in shock. That's also the expression on his face.

It makes sense, once you know, I think. But wondering if it will be too distracting. Although, I've heard enough about distracting positions/proportions from the first cover that I'm hoping it's still a step up in terms of less weirdness to the first time viewer.

Offline Rosver  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, June 2, 2015 10:08:03 PM(UTC)
Rosver

@Tizzy

Well, sketchy isn't the appropriate term, it should be painterly. Nothing is wrong with a painterly style and many artist like working in painterly styles.

To see what I mean look at this work:

http://jubjubjedi.devian...geon-Explorers-521022888

Notice how much more attention is given to the hair on the characters compared to the book cover art.

And this:

http://jubjubjedi.devian...0-000-Conquest-496841704

Notice the more defined folds on the fabric and more care given on the shading.

But then, this is his portfolio and artist often display their best work there.

@Anskier

That is what I was asking at first seing it. I just then assumed that he was looking at himself (hand), though Tom should have his head tilted lower.

@The Author Guy

I think Lenamare is more distracting. His blue clothing is a large area of cool color among the mostly warm color of the whole image. His bold pose and some elements like Tom's left claw and Jehena's hand point directly at him and directs your attention at him.
Offline The Author Guy  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, June 2, 2015 10:38:53 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

As far as Lenamare drawing too much attention?

I'm sorry, I thought you met the man in book 1? That is sort of who he is! I would not be surprised if he wasn't sending the artist instructions on the side!

It sounds like something he would demand of any image with him in it.

As far as attention to detail...I think it's there, but there is an issue of a) size and b) lighting/shadow.

Here is a full size (scaled down for forum) clip of Triseflet and Lenamre. I can see Lenamare's hair and robe folds. But also remember the idea is to have less detail on non-major characters, so Tom gets the most detail. Look at his scales.

Download (or just click on) this image and open it it is like 1390x1100. The stupid forum software is setting max width and height to be 500 and I can't figure out how to override that code.

Close Up Summoning

Offline Rosver  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, June 2, 2015 11:16:33 PM(UTC)
Rosver

We are talking about the cover. His figure just cut a stong impression.

So it was intentional. Still, even with less definition, he still stands out. He cut a bold shape in the front.
Offline The Author Guy  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, June 2, 2015 11:27:54 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

He will be gratified by your comments!

And his commanding presence is to a point very intentional. The summoning is a battle of two egos, Tom and Lenamare. Refer back to Edwyrd and Lenamare at dinner. This confrontation between the two is something that haunts both of them. You will see this come back again in book ii.

The demon is raw overwhelming power. But the wizard, a mere mortal, by use of his knowledge and will power can control, dominate and bind this giant monster.

We were really trying to get to 'old school demon summoning' in which the wizard is the hero, not the demon.
Offline SixFeetUnder  
#17 Posted : Friday, June 5, 2015 8:48:46 PM(UTC)
SixFeetUnder

Groups: Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

I also prefer the text from the first edition, though otherwise the second edition is better (the orange bar at the top in the first is unnecessary). The only concern with the first edition is the text size might be a little small when viewed on thumbnails, so personally I'd go with the background of the second, the text placement and style of the first, and then just increase the text size a little.

But either way, they're much better than the original cover of the book - very nice!
Offline SixFeetUnder  
#18 Posted : Friday, June 5, 2015 8:49:30 PM(UTC)
SixFeetUnder

Groups: Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Double post, sorry. Website is a little slow and I clicked "post" twice :(.

Edited by user Friday, June 5, 2015 8:51:14 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Double post.

Offline The Author Guy  
#19 Posted : Saturday, June 6, 2015 3:39:54 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

That's the key point I "want" to hear.

My dread is that have spent the money on an actual artist for the cover, everyone will go. "Oh, the first was so much better, you shouldn't have wasted the money!"
Offline JMX  
#20 Posted : Sunday, June 7, 2015 3:52:21 PM(UTC)
JMX

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Originally Posted by: The Author Guy Go to Quoted Post
That's the key point I "want" to hear.

My dread is that have spent the money on an actual artist for the cover, everyone will go. "Oh, the first was so much better, you shouldn't have wasted the money!"

There's a joke art of your cover I think from someguy that does spoofs on book art, for the life of me I can't remember where I saw it but it made me chuckle. Tom had a really silly look on his face. Hmm I am going to feel silly if it wa from here.. But I shall hit post anyways!

Wanted to add your cover art is what cought my eye and made me stop to buy the book. It was original.

Edited by user Sunday, June 7, 2015 3:56:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified