The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline nilrem  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 23, 2014 5:48:47 PM(UTC)
nilrem

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

i was wondering whether you have thought about introducing warlocks (or something similiar) to astlan.
since some demons have lots of animus and mana (or special abilities) available, they might consider sharing some of it (perhaps similiar to a priest - god relationship) for a price.
basically they could turn any indvidual into agents with lots of power with little need for training (which could prove an effective recipe for disaster).

also
demons of astlan was great!
characters, magic, the "bad guys" beeing the protagonists ... there is nothing not to like (except maybe that its only 600 pages long :)
Offline Tizzy  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 24, 2014 12:21:14 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Hmmm....that sounds like a good idea...I think I'll have to look into doing that...

Maybe Gastrope'...he's pretty malleable and power hungry...maybe I could convince him to enter my service!

I like it!

Tizzy!

Offline eugene2k  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 27, 2014 8:06:51 AM(UTC)
eugene2k

Actually it sounds pretty consistent with the rules of the setting. A warlock's link to his patron demon would be the same as a priest's link to his god.

P.S. A warlock in Tizzy's service is a scary thing :D
Offline Tizzy  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 27, 2014 4:05:12 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Such great ideas!

I've now found a path to becoming a god! Bwah hah hah hah!

I should have started this Magic Mirror Site a long centuries ago!

Dancing

Offline Uuvini  
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 18, 2014 10:42:12 AM(UTC)
Uuvini

I would think instead of like a priest/god link, it would be more like a modified, consensual, partial possession. Kind of like the familiar bond described. Basically it would normally be a low level possession, infusing the warlock with a small part of the demon essence. This would allow the bond, and if done right possibly some of the demons abilities (increased senses, faster healing, more strength and stamina, and larger mana reserves for example). Also during this "low-level" possession the demon would be able to draw mana from the warlock for themselves. This type of bond, I would imagine, would also allow the demon to basically use the warlocks senses as their own, much like with a familiar.
Then under certain conditions, like combat, the demon would be able to infuse more of their essence and mana into the warlock, allowing even greater abilities and spellcasting.
Offline Tizzy  
#6 Posted : Sunday, May 18, 2014 3:18:53 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Hmm,

Excellent reasoning. Yes, that would make sense.

Actually, in point of fact, most of these methods for links are just different perspectives/flavors/variations on the same basic thing. It's really a question of how deep the connections go, how two way they are.

One big difference with the deity to cleric link vs the familiar link is how "personal" the link is. The familiar link, and the warlock link as you described it are very much a one to one link. The deity links are much more a group link. Much less personal and much more complicated because deities have so many followers and they offload to avatars and there are lots of people in the link Deity<->One or more Avatars<->Maybe High Priests<->Priests<->Worshipers

And the deity links are more fluid. A worshipers mana feeds will change, dynamically, automatically, depending on who the local priest is, etc. So the deity links are vastly more complicated webs (much like the super links required for the city's Wards vs the Schools wards) than what a warlock's link would be.

Offline Anskier  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 20, 2014 12:02:44 AM(UTC)
Anskier

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Interesting I wonder if demons could form a sort of priest web of links and generate there own demon god.
Offline Tizzy  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 20, 2014 1:30:47 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Thanks for the suggestion!

I'm going to run right out and try it...I just gotta get me some priests.

Wonder where to get one? I don't think they sell them at 7-11 or Walmart...hmmm...maybe Amazon? Will they be Prime eligible? Priests are heavy, I really need the free shipping!

Offline Maou  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, May 20, 2014 6:03:43 AM(UTC)
Maou

Groups: Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

It can't be that hard to convince people to spread the word of a demonic godPray . Simply get the men conveniently placed inside some lovely padded roomsSilenced . They are kept nice and warm to such an extent that gravity, walls, and floors no longer hurt them. They are catered to such an extent that they no longer need to use their hands. Their are also many people hear and their wearing tinfoil hats who look promising. And since you don't seem picky why don't you also pick up the stonersAngel and doomsayersWhistle as additional followers. One can herald your coming and the other can cultivate the weed supply so that it isn't so scarce here. Weed isn't that hard to grow, but for some reason I can't seem to find any in the wild. Hope these suggestions help you find some worshipers.
Offline nilrem  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, May 20, 2014 4:23:45 PM(UTC)
nilrem

why not just lie?
i mean Exador managed to dupe a god!
how hard can it be for someone like that to get his own crowd.
Offline Tizzy  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, May 21, 2014 12:19:59 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Well, I am sure you can get plenty of crazy people on Earth...but I don't think Astlan has as many demented people.

For one thing they don't have prescription drugs to treat them...so they tend to wander around and eventually get in the way of an Orc, minotaur, harpy or something else that kills them, and maybe eats them.

Yes, you could lie.

And Exador better hope Tiernon never finds out.

One thing that people are afraid of in Book II is if some "people upstairs" might come down to Astlan. if so, will they think it odd that there is this guy name Exador messing around in the situation, and he happens to look exactly like a guy named "Exador" that used to work for them, and that for some strange reason got lost on the way to "Tierhalion" (or whatever it's called) after death?

Offline nilrem  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, May 21, 2014 2:10:34 PM(UTC)
nilrem

i see your point.
might be interesting to see what they will do if they find out :P
Offline Tizzy  
#13 Posted : Thursday, May 22, 2014 12:06:44 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Now you are thinking like Lenamare!

Good thing he doesn't know or he'd rat Exador out in a heartbeat.
Offline Maou  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2014 1:53:18 AM(UTC)
Maou

Could somebody be both a demon and a god?
Offline Tizzy  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2014 2:39:43 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Whistle
Offline Korwin  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, July 16, 2014 5:10:54 AM(UTC)
Korwin

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Maou Go to Quoted Post
Could somebody be both a demon and a god?

Would'nt be surprised if thats the case. There is even an missing super powerful Demon who might have thougt, why not try this god business...
Offline Finaltheorem47  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, July 16, 2014 5:40:32 AM(UTC)
Finaltheorem47

I suspect that Anilords, Demons and Gods are all a lot more similar than we believe.

Anilords were dreadful beings according to history but no one knows why. I kinda feel like Ramses the Anilord who is an archdemon isn't too far out of Tom's league. Tom is just considered a powerful "Animage" though to other humans... so my guess is the reason Anilords were so feared was because they were extremely hard to keep dead once you killed them (which would happen if they were no longer anchored to a corporeal body).

I suspect that Anilords are humans (or similar) who have "shed" their corporeal anchor and are essentially demons, except they didn't need a wizard to bind them (aka turning them into demons), they were able to do it themselves.

Demons can be any individual, mostly made from "mundane" humans (large amount of class I's), who have been "helped" along in the process of disconnecting their corporeal anchor and creating a mana body by a more powerful individual, usually a group. The groups and victims belief of what a demon looks like constructs their form. An Anilord believes he looks human or w/e species he was, so his corporeal body wouldn't change like with a demon.

Gods are Anilords/Demons who have found a higher level through a combination of their own power and the influx of mana and belief from worshipers.

Then again the story goes that gods came first and created the universes, elves, dwarves etc. I'm not so sure to be honest though. If a gods power comes from worshipers, how did they create all the planes and universes which obviously had to be created before they created the first races of man (which is their power base). Me thinks the gods we see today aren't as old as we make them out to be. Whistle Maybe there is/was a God and then there are the gods. Maybe there are just gods and the different races of men as well as the different planes and universes evolved on their own.

Edited by user Wednesday, July 16, 2014 6:16:06 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Maou  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, July 16, 2014 11:52:25 PM(UTC)
Maou

I don't personally believe that the god's created anything. I have no idea what they are so I will throw out a new theory passed on your comment. Planes of men have all five elements with the element of man at its core. Therefore God's could be Elementals of men. As sentient beings we have some influence over them as the element of man seems to be primarily composed of animus, conscience/sentience (higher conscience), spirit/soul(not sure if same or seperate). A god's like it when people feel a single strong emotion as they recieve more mana this way. The element of man draws mana as do the gods and higher conscience beings refine mana. This would mean that the plane would form first and the gods shortly thereafter. They would have influence on the early world, but they would only happen to have been formed first.

I believe based on what was said in story that elemental exist, but people understand the element of man the least. If the gods were elementals of man, then it would stand to reason, as they would be the pinnacle of sentience, that they would try to keep those under their dominion from recognizing this. Man elementals must exist as do other elementals, but their are no true elemental plane of man. The closest to a plane of man would be the spiritual planes, thus each elemental would try to shape its own territory to expand their influence.

This however leads us with a small dilemma. If these elementals create these territories, they must have come from another place. THey would also likely have some clue to their origin in their territory to connect them with their origins as it were as elementals are most comfortable in their original domain. Simply put they come from the River Styx. It is in all spirtual planes and serves the purpose of transporting a person's soul, and thus their animus to them. This is something purely of the element of man traveling without mana, so it must mean the the river is purely composed of the element of man. Nobody knows what the river truly is, but they know it isn't water. The abyss could then serve as its mouth and the various elementals could then form various branches to this river.

The Styx would follow the properties of gathering attracting mana and other elements, and would explain why these location are so mysterious and why it is so hard to find these places. Not sure how Concordenax fits into things though. Regardless elementals of man will be intelligent, will likely be able to use magic, and will likely be a step above the other elementals in terms of power. They will likely range from highly rational, to highly emotional, or both. Regardless if Man elementals are the gods it should be that much of a shock.

Edited by user Thursday, July 17, 2014 4:50:50 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Tizzy  
#19 Posted : Thursday, July 17, 2014 12:22:42 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Very interesting theories in the last few posts...

I am going to stay far away from you guys though...you seem to be holding blue lightning rods and just begging to get hit.

Particularly when you say the gods are "elementals" if that's not a vaporizing event, then I don't know what is.

I remember the Anilords very well, they were extremely high powered animages, Ramses and Exador were demons from the start posing as animages, many of the others were definitely human, at least early on. The lines got very blurry and I soon stopped worrying about who was what, I was more concerned with who was going to do me harm.

For some odd reason, many of the anilords disliked me. Since they were a bad bunch, really pretty Evil; I assume they hated me because I'm so virtuous, helpful and good.

The one that hated me most was this Necromancer (oddly enough, necromancers predate wizards--go figure--I guess they were using animagic to do necromancy.) Really nasty Necromancer, he had all these plots and kept trying to convince the Alvar to make him rings for some reason. Fortunately, the Alvaran lords were "smart" enough to see through his various disguises and never made any of the rings he wanted

He had pretended that he wanted them made to help the various races and had this plan for 3 for the Alvar, seven for the Modgriensofarthgonosefren, and nine for humans. Oddly, he didn't want one for himself...which to me would have spelled altruism but anyway, I think the Alvar really were just pissed they were only going to get 3.

Sure, after the fact, when the Necromancer was finally sent packing and expelled from Astlan permanently by the first wizards, the Alvar claimed they saw through him all along, but I'm not sure.

Offline Maou  
#20 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2014 6:52:01 AM(UTC)
Maou

So would elementals equate to
fire= beings of pure energy
air= gaseous energy beings
water= liquid energy beings
earth= solid energy beings
man= gods

with the element being named as the thing closest to the core concept that can be observed in nature as the truth of its pure most fundamental essence would escape man, but some of its properties could be understood.

I am a heretic. As are all demons as gods just don't seem to like them for some reason.