The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Tizzy  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 8, 2014 1:00:59 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 44 post(s)
OK,

We had a spammer successfully navigate the captcha and email activation. Meaning I'm thinking it was a manual setup, but who knows.

If you see spam, use the "Report" button under the post (I think you can all see it) this then sends it to the Moderator Golem and I can then "report it as spam" to the Anti-Spam Gods. Like a prayer, not sure if this does much, but worth a shot.

I then went in and threw the Spammer into the River Styx.

It might be amusing to see what happens to the spammer, if he/she ever reemerges from the icky waves...

Unfortunately, deleting the person's posts also killed a post of smw's because the spam post started the topic, should have moved smw's post, so everyone would know what a great spam hunter SMW is!

Offline Killblah  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 8, 2014 1:41:42 AM(UTC)
Killblah

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Tell us the names of these Anti-Spame Gods, So we can pray to them for protection, O wise demon.Pray
Offline smw  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 8, 2014 6:07:11 AM(UTC)
smw

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hah, thanks Tizzy. I will be sure to hit the report button in the future. That is one of those buttons you forget exists because when you first see it you don't believe it will ever be useful!

The river styx does have its drawbacks. Assuming he re-emerges, he might accidentally stumble on this site again. But he won't remember the punishment you gave him last time! That could lead to an awkward cycle.

I assume torture would work better for ensuring future compliance. But a demon would have better information on that.
Offline Tizzy  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 8, 2014 11:56:30 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Well, knowing which Anti-spam gods to prey to is a big part of the problem.

The old gods: Norton, Kapersky, Avg, Trend don't help as much with spam as they do with viruses, and of course there is the great Anti-Spam god Barracuda but he doesn't deign to visit me...nor does he stop forum spam...

So I just do general please to whoever the YAF Anti-Spam god is (YAF is the forum software--Yet Another Forum)

I don't remember anyone ever reemerging from the Styx, but of course, I also don't remember throwing anyone in there before and whether or not the water splashed up on me.

Curious....
Offline Maou  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 21, 2014 9:21:25 PM(UTC)
Maou

Groups: Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

I assumed that demons would promote and propagate spam, provided it was not directed at them? It sounds like something they would conceive of to spread to mortal masses to pointlessly annoy them and waste their time.
Offline Tizzy  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2014 2:57:43 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

I don't think you understand what spam is.

It's useless, wasteful and annoying email.

Clearly, if it's coming from a demon, it would be none of the above.

As an FYI: you have more posts for me to answer, but I'm going to wait until tomorrow to read them.

If I answer too fast, the latest topics thing on the forum front page makes it look like I'm the only one talking, or that I'm talking to myself.

I don't want to give people the impression that I talk to myself. If you do that, then people start spreading rumors and pretty soon it ends up in print somewhere.

Offline Maou  
#7 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2014 5:54:38 AM(UTC)
Maou

Since the abyss has the River Styxx, do you have a Tartarus somewhere within the abyss?
Offline Tizzy  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, October 28, 2014 2:57:35 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

:)

If you wikipedia Tarterus, it sounds a lot like the Abyss...

Hmmm....
Offline Maou  
#9 Posted : Saturday, November 15, 2014 11:02:56 PM(UTC)
Maou

Since its a river where does the Styx start and where does it end?

Styx is important, so something good(or bad), according to ones perspective is probably there.

Edited by user Saturday, November 15, 2014 11:04:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Tizzy  
#10 Posted : Sunday, November 16, 2014 9:38:11 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Pretty sure it's infinitely long...I've never seen either end.

Or if I have, I've somehow forgotten it? Not sure how that could have happened though?

My laptop got dumped in the river styx on thursday, and it no longer remembers anything so I am reteaching it stuff and so my replies are running late. I'll have more time for full replies on Monday....once my laptop remembers stuff....

Offline smw  
#11 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2015 6:06:18 PM(UTC)
smw

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Offline Tizzy  
#12 Posted : Friday, May 22, 2015 3:50:17 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

I see, I am currently in Gormegast and have been in hyperspace all day and haven't been able to be on top of things today.

Thankfully now that our ship has exited hyperspace I can get on the interdimensional Internet and deal with this crapola.

Nargh. and no I don't mean Narg-argoloth from book II, I mean the noise of frustration one makes when being thwarted...which I secretly think is where his name comes from....

Going to quick ban and remove and will have to work on better security once I am back in the Abyss.