The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
6 Pages«<23456>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Tizzy  
#61 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2014 1:10:38 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 44 post(s)
If any demons have, they aren't telling people.

As a rule, demons don't even trust their own spawn very much.

But I suppose they might eventually figure out some ways of doing it.

How one create God Pools is a very closely guarded secret that only the gods know.

My suspicion is that if a demon were to figure out how to create a god pool, and have a group to share with....that demon and its friends would all sort of die the true death and people would start hearing about some new religion that was recruiting. I.e. The names have been changed to protect the formerly damned.

Offline Rosver  
#62 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2014 5:22:57 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Groups: Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Well, shouldn't that have been... well... obvious? There aren't really that many demon magic users and it seems keeping tab on powerful demons seems to be what all demons tend to do. A stunt like this should have spread like wild fire in the demon circles. Though the possibility that they just didn't do that kind of thing is likely.

If it is gods' secret then it is just time before it leaks or figured out by the others. That tends to happen with secrets.

Well, that seems a grim prediction.
Offline Tizzy  
#63 Posted : Friday, September 12, 2014 12:31:22 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

I wouldn't be surprised if the gods have some "gatekeepers" to keep their club private.

My guess if people get too close, bad things start happening.

Notice how all those demigods in mythology start having horrible travails?

I don't think it's a coincidence.

Offline Rosver  
#64 Posted : Sunday, September 14, 2014 6:36:15 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Groups: Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Well, how would they know? Are they really that omnipotent?

As for those travails... huh! It is because they are stupid. If people could just pause and think for a moment instead of swallowing those overrated pratling of some person they could have seen the incredulity of it all.

I have read many of those mythologies and they are almost filled with junk! I couldn't in my mind understand how people could love them, they aren't really that good. And I wonder if the people really read the original writings about them and not those censored and rated G versions. Well, they are just a read for historical reasons but for anything else? Better read Into the Abyss by J.L. Langland.
Offline Tizzy  
#65 Posted : Monday, September 15, 2014 12:11:08 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Definitely not omnipotent!

They wish!

Well...all I can say about those mythologies is this...at one time those stories were part of what people called religion. The stories of Zeus, Heracles, Aphrodite, etc. That was what human beings in ancient Rome and Greece, in all their so-human folly, believed to be 'gospel' those stories were their Bible. it was mainly oral, but eventually written down.

If you can question how those people could believe in that non-sense, they you must also see why someone from outside of the Judeo-Christian-Muslim world might say the same about the stories in the books of those religions.

So it's interesting that you ask if they are omnipotent, the ancient gods were never omnipotent, the JCM G-d is omnipotent, and if you ask me, an omnipotent, omniscient deity brings up even more questions than those posed by the ancient gods...

But then, I am a demon, it is my job to spread heresy in all forms.

But, of course, it's always better to read non-fiction, like DoA than to read fiction like these other books.
Angel

Offline Maou  
#66 Posted : Thursday, September 18, 2014 2:02:09 AM(UTC)
Maou

Groups: Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Out of curiosity if the Humans declared war on the dark alvar and tried to exterminate them, would the light alvar aid them?
Offline Tizzy  
#67 Posted : Thursday, September 18, 2014 2:30:38 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Hmmm

I would doubt it since the humans and Los Alvar are more often allies...however, there are some weird treaties between the light and dark so who knows how that would play out.
Offline Maou  
#68 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2014 5:56:55 AM(UTC)
Maou

So how divergent are the different races affected by another being knowing their true name? Are some races more sensitive to this than others?
Offline Madfox11  
#69 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2014 10:02:08 AM(UTC)
Madfox11

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Maou Go to Quoted Post
So how divergent are the different races affected by another being knowing their true name? Are some races more sensitive to this than others?

I did not get the impression that the humans of Astlan care all that much about others knowing their true name, although it might be that keeping their true name hidden is so much second nature that they actually never even mention that their full names are not their actual names...
Offline Rosver  
#70 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2014 1:40:37 PM(UTC)
Rosver

Maybe you can't get their true names in the first place? There has to be a special and specific situation so that you will be able to get it?
Offline Tizzy  
#71 Posted : Tuesday, October 28, 2014 6:32:36 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Well...humans do have true names, but may not know it...

It seems to me that the more magical a race is, the more it is concerned with True Names. Is this because they realize the overall import, or is it because True Names have more affect on someone, the more magical they are?

Don't know. Never tried binding and elf. But then I can't bind anyone or things so it's sort of moot.
Offline Rosver  
#72 Posted : Thursday, October 30, 2014 9:59:21 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Huh! True names is pretty much nonsense to me. Maybe because I'm human? Hmmm. I'm ranked demon here now.
Offline Tizzy  
#73 Posted : Thursday, October 30, 2014 9:26:32 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Yeah, that's what a lot of non-wizard humans think.

Soon enough, you'll learn better...
Offline Rosver  
#74 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2014 1:45:22 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Well, just imagine the pronunciation. Add to the mix, the spelling.

If you just glance at it, it seems ok. But further scrutiny, it makes so much nonsense.
Offline Madfox11  
#75 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2014 8:57:15 AM(UTC)
Madfox11

I think on this world, at least in more organized countries, the true names are numbers. At least, if certain people get a hold of those, they can do some pretty nasty stuff to your life...
Offline Tizzy  
#76 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2014 4:37:28 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

By this world you mean your Earth.

yes, identity theft is like stealing a person's true name and using it for ones own purposes and the detriment of the victim.
Offline Maou  
#77 Posted : Saturday, November 15, 2014 11:00:36 PM(UTC)
Maou

What if a demons true name cannot be pronounced. Humans can only make so many sounds.
Offline Tizzy  
#78 Posted : Monday, November 17, 2014 11:47:34 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

I suspect this is, in fact, the reason wizards never seem to summon dragons.

Pretty sure those can't be pronounced by humans.

Now of course, there is physically unable to pronounce and there is mispronounce.

Mispronunciation can be dangerous because if it's a powerful demon (like Tom) they might hear you calling it, but not be bound, and decide to show up anyway.

And then, maybe silly wizard will help pull it through and then try to bind it, fail and die a gloriously horrible bloody nauseating dismemberment and death over a very long and involved period of time. The demon is then in Astlan and able to run around and wreak havoc.

That's what one hope would happen at least.
Offline Rosver  
#79 Posted : Tuesday, November 18, 2014 9:13:25 AM(UTC)
Rosver

I've been discussing this issue a long time ago. In reality it is quite very common to mispronounce foriegn names.

We can make hundreds of sounds for our language (also known as phonemes) but in a spoken language we limit the number of phonemes we use (the phoneme set). Spoken languages have from a dozen to more than a hundred of phonemes in thier phoneme set.

Added some natural complexity of the language, the problem here is that it requires practice to be able to pronounce a phoneme properly. This is especially troublesome when a person has to produce a phoneme that is not part of that person's native language's phoneme set. What often happens is that they replace it with a similar sounding phoneme. Japanese speakers for example has trouble creating the /l/ phoneme as it is not present in the japanese language phoneme set and often replace it with the /r/ phoneme. Of course saying 'rock' instead of 'lock' (unrock it!) results to confusion.

In Tom's case, his name must be Astlanian enough so that natives there can pronounce it properly.

Of course if there are aliens, as Tizzy implied, then they might just have names that humans physically can't pronounce. Say what if the alien speaks in supersonic? What if the aliens are birdlike and uses birdlike tweets and calls in their language? Humans can't speak that!

Well, while we are also speaking about languages, how many languages are there in Astlan? Also are there French speaking demons, Cantonese speaking demons, and Latin speaking demons? Do Ramses still remember how to speak Ancient Egyptian? What is Exador's native language? I should have ask about Tizzy's original native tongue, but I seem to be uninterested about it somehow.

Edited by user Tuesday, November 18, 2014 9:38:17 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Madfox11  
#80 Posted : Tuesday, November 18, 2014 9:54:47 AM(UTC)
Madfox11

Or does the magic of the summoning superimposes the language of Astlan upon the summoned including their name? It certainly seems to be a common theme in the stories I read about travel between universes. Than again, the occassional language confusion is fun, it gets boring really quickly, so I suspect any mage worth his or her salt will very quickly design translation spells ;)

Edited by user Tuesday, November 18, 2014 9:56:23 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified