The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
9 Pages«<6789>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Rosver  
#141 Posted : Thursday, November 6, 2014 4:15:10 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Groups: Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Well, I kinda agree that the cover was a bit ugly but it is not exactly the ugliest I've seen. There are quite a lot of technical errors in the image that should have been addressed. At least some overpainting in photoshop should have been made.

Still I'm going to make a 3D art, had started already... and they are not neccisarily bad! Do you think just because you work in 2D your work would be beautiful? Both 3Dand 2D have their shares of ugly, traditional media have them too. It is really up to the artist how their work comes out.

By the way if you want to look for more great digital artworks try this site, it is one of the site I go often. It constantly inspires me:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3

And great 3D works find them here:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=121
Offline Tizzy  
#142 Posted : Thursday, November 6, 2014 6:31:46 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 44 post(s)
I think there really is a lot of prejudice against 3D art.

And it's for a lot of reasons, but a lot because really good 3D is super over used in tv and movies (special effects not the glasses type 3D), so people become to blase. And also there is the uncanny valley effect where if things you know are fake look too real, it turns people off.

A similar thing is seen with high def TV and 3D TV/Movies (glasses) hyper realism can turn people off very quick.

Plus there is some bias in that people don't really know how much effort goes into any particular piece of art. In many cases traditional paint/sketch (non computer) art can be much much faster to do than 2D or 3D computer art. But it is almost always seen as "better" or "real art"

Offline Rosver  
#143 Posted : Thursday, November 6, 2014 11:32:17 PM(UTC)
Rosver

Groups: Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Well, there is this capability of 3D. You can reuse the models. Get one, pose it, render. Pose it again, render. You can use such model again and again and again. Now, nothing is wrong with this, I will also make use of reusing models one day, but often times people are sloppy at reusing the models. Often they don't correct, alter, or do post work. Often the results are stiff and bizzare or outright freakish.

I also think it is not the over exposure but ignorance. When it comes to traditional work, people are very well acquainted to it. They know about Mona Lisa, Girl with the Pearl Earing, The Starry Night, Creation of Adam, etc. They even know the master artists who make them. There a lot of documentaries about them too. the general people just know a lot of these.

Contrast with 3D works. Being a new one on the feild, many people fail to recognize great 3d works as great examples of 3D works. They see them and fail to recognize what it is. Those gigantic dinosaurs? Godzilla? King Kong? Iron man suit? The Hulk? These are popular 3d works out there in the movies but many would fail to point them out when they think of 3D works.

When people talk about 3D most would think of those sloppy 3d works instead of those the often seen ones like movie posters (the Hulk, Transformers, Iron Man, Avatar), animated films (like Pixar and Dreamwoorks, love How to Train Your Dragon), IKEA catalogue (those pictures you see there are 3D renders), comercials (how about those talking toothbrushes?) or even Video games. Great 3D work abound they just fail to label them as 3D works.

On the other hand no one would pick their sisters drawing Sailor Moon, their own attemps of drawing human figure, or their school art project as traditional artwork examples but insist on exquisite ones like Mona Lisa, The Starry Night, and The Girl with the Pearl Earing as examples. They pick the best for traditional but choose the worst for 3D, so unfair.

Edited by user Friday, November 7, 2014 12:56:58 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline The Author Guy  
#144 Posted : Friday, November 7, 2014 3:17:46 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 86 post(s)
All true, and of course, one can also "buy" more quality by using higher powered tools, better renderers and server farms.

Of course, even so, the modeling work needs to be a lot better for the super res images, but chances are they have really good tools for that if they've made the other investments.

I will admit, you really have to know more about the "how" with 3D to truly appreciate the mona lisa's That was one nice thing about cghub when it was still alive, people would/could list what tools they used. Then you could better appreciate the effort if you knew the toolset they were using...some programs are much easier or harder for different types of images.

Offline Rosver  
#145 Posted : Monday, November 10, 2014 10:05:27 PM(UTC)
Rosver

Tom demon work in progress

Yeay! This is a second try my first try got messed up so I scrap it. Still very rough. I'm minding my topologies so as not to messed up again.

I'm still not that experienced in modeling in 3d really and I messed so many times. Been more like experimenting than doing actual work. I try sculpting over this then retopo rather than completely building it by polygonal modeling. Or should I just do traditional poly modeling then just sculpt the fine details? Hmmm. I'll try both. As I say I'm experimenting.

As you can see, it is not exactly the demon in the book's cover though I took some ideas from there, especially the horns. The book cover demon looks a bit like a minotaur and I took it to that direction further. I also add a frill on the top of his head to the back of his neck. I was also thinking of scaling down the head to make the figure about 9 heads tall.

Tizzy. You know more about how Tom looks like. Some help? Maybe there should be something I need to change or add? Also what do you think about the wings? Should I make it bigger?
Offline Tizzy  
#146 Posted : Monday, November 10, 2014 10:44:01 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Looking good!

General form is pretty accurate, just some details like his very large hands and long claws...and his rear tail, the front tail looks about right.

:)

Horns are good in proportion to head, but head seems a bit small compared to body (so then horns would scale)

But otherwise I'm very impressed. What tool are you using to model?

Offline Rosver  
#147 Posted : Tuesday, November 11, 2014 12:13:19 AM(UTC)
Rosver

I haven't really made a hand for this model. I find it more easier to model the hands separately then attach it later. I also haven't made the tail because I still lacked geometry at the back. I have made a tail in my first attempt as the model was dense at that time but I messed up. The front tail... I was planning on not modeling it (like many other models) but might have been bad.

This figure is about 8 heads tall. And I'm talking about proportion not height. Cute anime characters are shorter, say about 4 to 5 heads tall. That is, their body is as tall as 4 to 5 times the height of their head. Chibi character are about 2 to 3 heads tall. Hello Kitty for example is two heads tall. Regular dude, 6 to 6 1/2 Ideal heroic proportion is about 7 1/2heads tall. Many comic super heroes is 8 heads tall. Some monster are 9 to 10 heads tall or even taller. The Hulk is one of the character that is often made over 8 heads tall nowdays.

So for Tom, I opt for 8 heads tall. That is a comic super hero proportion. I planned on making his head smaller puting him to the extremely exagerated proportion but gues not. Dont want to make his head bigger though because that would make him look move regular dude.

As you are not commenting on the wings, guess I get it right?

As for the modeling package, I'm using Blender. It is free and quite good in basic polygonal modeling.
Offline Tizzy  
#148 Posted : Tuesday, November 11, 2014 3:26:54 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Yes, I was teasing about the hands...I knew why.

Tails are harder than they look.

As for head height, consider Darkness in Legend. Darkness is one of the best looking demons in movie history, and his head is huge. The reason demons like darkness and Tom have such big heads is because they've got huge horns, which require a very large/stable base. So unless the brain is bird sized, the head has to be really big to fit both brain and hornbase/bone structure.

Assuming, of course the rules of biology apply to Abyssal demons, because I note that Tom's brain seems to work, even when he's insubstantial fire, so maybe he doesn't require an organic brain in his body.

Blender is great, it's one of the better (if not best) free tools for modeling. You could also check out DAZ Studio Pro at www.daz3d.com it's not a great modeller, but it does do rigging, morphs and rendering....of course it's free so they can tempt you into buying their content....

Darkness...
Offline Tizzy  
#149 Posted : Tuesday, November 11, 2014 3:30:55 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

BTW if you have not seen Legend, then you definitely should

It's old school special effects, not CGI and it is absolutely gorgeous....the story is a rather generic story book fantasy good vs evil with a hero and a damsel, and the hero is not a professional actor, he's played by Tom Cruise....

However, Darkness is Tim Curry and he is phenomenal....as are the other faerie creatures...
Offline Tizzy  
#150 Posted : Tuesday, November 11, 2014 3:40:04 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

And to be clear when I say TC is not a professional actor...he's a "Movie Star"

the difference between a "Movie Star" and an "Actor" is that:

Actors play different characters in different movies
"Movie Stars" play a version of themselves (names changed) in every movie. I.e. movie stars don't "play characters" they are the character.

So for example, in Batman and Robin (and the one before that) George Clooney does not play batman, he plays George Clooney in a rubber suit with bat nipples and goes around saying "I'm Batman"

Similarly, Jack Nicholson was fantastic as the first Joker, incredible even. But it was really still Jack Nicholson in a clown suit, and everyone knew it. Whereas, Heath Ledger was the Joker. When you look at HL's Joker, you see "The Joker" not HL when you look at JN's the Joker, you see "Jack Nicholson as The Joker"

That's the difference between an actor and a movie star...

And is this ever off topic...fortunately, being insane, I can do that.
Offline Rosver  
#151 Posted : Tuesday, November 11, 2014 3:59:34 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Is Darkness a reference for demon Tom? I don't think I seen the film before.

As for anatomy. Tom is already 12 feet tall, proportionally his head would also be larger, which means a roomier place for the brain. There should be no problem for the brain size in that area.

As for horns and big head, see this creature for a size:

That is a big horn

compared to his more normal relatives:

Normal doesn't mean small

I'll take a look at daz3d, though I already heard about it, just doesn't taken interest in it.

You also had a great point at "Movie Stars" not acting and playing a character. Some just doesn't play their characters right and just feels fake.
Offline Rosver  
#152 Posted : Tuesday, November 11, 2014 4:13:11 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Hmmm. Daz 3D seems to lack much in creating original content lacking much in modeling functions. They have a lot of good models though. I'll look deeper into it.
Offline Tizzy  
#153 Posted : Tuesday, November 11, 2014 3:42:53 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

I wouldn't say Darkness is an inspiration for Tom, but definitely an influence.

Tom had seen Legend (and Labyrinth), and he'd also seen the original ADD Players Handbook with the budha demon on the cover...plus minotaurs, satyrs etc.

Yes, DAZ's content creation is a bit weak...they have/ate Carrarera which they drastically reduced the price on...but haven't done a lot to advance and that does creation better and Hexagon as well I believe.

They started out selling models and are probably the biggest or second biggest model store, www.renderosity.com being the major competitor as is www.runtimedna.com And of course ContentParadise for the Poser crowd...
Offline Maou  
#154 Posted : Saturday, November 22, 2014 5:50:30 PM(UTC)
Maou

Groups: Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

I still stand by my claim that Tom is a balor.
Offline Tizzy  
#155 Posted : Sunday, November 23, 2014 12:10:42 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

As in the Monster Manual Type VI?
Balor

Offline Rosver  
#156 Posted : Sunday, November 23, 2014 7:03:11 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Great reference there. Though Tom is quite pretty much a balor. Maybe I should look more into it.
Offline Tizzy  
#157 Posted : Sunday, November 23, 2014 6:51:41 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

ADD MM I actually lists the Type VI as being Balors.

Offline Rosver  
#158 Posted : Monday, November 24, 2014 6:14:47 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Been looking into it... and it made me dump my project and build again.
Offline Tizzy  
#159 Posted : Monday, November 24, 2014 10:19:56 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

You mean dump your 3d thing and start building what? A new demon based on a Balor?
Offline Rosver  
#160 Posted : Tuesday, November 25, 2014 12:47:41 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Essentially yes. What I'm trying to redesign my model. I'm still basing some on the cover and my design but I'm going to integrate some aesthetics from various balor design I found.

I'm also having problems with musculature of my model. Balor designs seem to work so I'm going to get some tips from there.