The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
9 Pages«<56789>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Tizzy  
#121 Posted : Thursday, October 23, 2014 6:08:51 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 44 post(s)
You may call it trust. I call it fear.

Fear of the Triumvirate/Quintenal Cabal and the Supreme Septat.

That's what basically keeps the peace. However, officially, what you say is what those 13 also say. Some demons believe them, and the rest just obey or die or worse...

People who don't particularly agree with the 13 Lords of Dread generally stay away from the Courts in their own palaces or their own smaller cities (where they are the rule of the realm)

And as for Angels, there are angel like figures in several Native American mythologies, but they are more seen as 'spirits' than angels...and some also have gods...

The Kabalah actually details in great great detail the nature of the Judeo-Christian-Islamic heavenly and infernal structure, over the millenia there have been an inordinate number of religious scholars describing, debating and listing these angels, demons and their relationships.

Also a lot of the traditions of djinns and early angel/demon stuff came from really old now defunct religions that most of us have never heard of...i.e. the Ancient Hebrews used to borrow supernatural beings almost as fast the Catholic church. They just turned foreign gods in to demons or angels, whereas the Catholic church mainly turned them into Saints...but sometimes Angels and demons.

Offline Maou  
#122 Posted : Thursday, October 23, 2014 11:07:36 PM(UTC)
Maou

Groups: Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Let me restate my argument, most ancient gods in Earth history were forces of nature. Some where quite human, some were petty, some where noble, but most were seen as the lesser of two evils as they were often opposed to something worse than them and their presence was often seen of as comforting to the people, modern culture however has spawned numerous obscure pantheons based upon the vague concepts of good and evil. Good deities have angels and evil deities have demons. If only gods exist they are often seen as good and opposed to the evil demons. Sometimes the line is blurred, but angels are normally good.

Powerful demons and most demons in general are quite paranoid. They will observe weaker demons and eliminate if deemed a threat. Demons will however ignore demons who are not a threat to them or in their sphere of influence in favor of those who are in opposition to them. If another demon might bother them in the future they might eliminate them, or they might do it cause they can. However rank 4 demons tend to ignore demons of rank 2 or lower unless they have something that interests them. Most attention is given to those near them in power and those of greater power than them. They will also try to kill those who annoy them, like Lilith with Tizzy. She mentioned it but keeps forgetting to do it.

To sum it up the Old Gods of our world were not good or evil, but the lesser of two evils and either forces of nature, or extremely powerful supernatural beings. Modern gods in modern pantheons are this and often have a moral alignment with some good, evil, or neutral, and chaotic, orderly, or neutral. Old gods would likely mostly be neutral/neutral, or close to that. Modern gods tend to be rigid in their alignment. Old gods were fluid in their alignments. This is about polytheistic religions and I will choose not to delve into the monotheistic religions as that screams bad idea and a long debate with that one zealot who happens to find that obscure post. Gods with fluid alignments and humanish personalities are old gods and gods with a limited defined and rigid method of interaction with mortals is most likely to be found in modern pantheons.

I will elaborate more later if needed.
Offline Tizzy  
#123 Posted : Thursday, October 23, 2014 11:16:06 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Well, I don't disagree other than to say that for what demons do and don't do to other demons, it various from demon to demon.

At the lower ranks though, there does tend to be a lot of camaraderie and shared misery, accursed masters are a pain, no point in adding to it.

The big guys, well it's all about them. They treat lesser demons much like nobles treat peasants...not worth the time to mess with unless they cause problems or can be useful for some scheme.

As for gods and good vs evil...it's all very relative. Again, I think these are just marketing terms coupled with various levels of narcissism.

Offline Rosver  
#124 Posted : Thursday, October 23, 2014 11:40:54 PM(UTC)
Rosver

Groups: Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I emphasize city. A city requires a lot of trust in the population for it to stand. In the absense of trust would cause violent anarchy would issue (like say in the Los Angeles riots). You might as well see the city burning to the ground.

Using fear punishment/death is not a very stable way to manage a city/empire. You can just look at history to see. This is especially more true, if the demons could actually just leave the city as Tizzy says. Leaving the city and live alone, or stay in the city and have your life be under the whim of the authorities... it is just a no brainer. LEAVE!

Especially problematic in this situation if (ultimate) death is used. Demons have very low birthrate so if there is something that killing demons off, soon the number will greatly dwindle. If the number dwindle so much then the necessary manpower to maintain the city would not be achieved. This would cause the city to fail and become unlivable, even to demons.

Another is that, there would always be rebelion if a population is ruled by fear. Sooner or later, someone would become foolish enough to retaliate. It will always not be overtly but covertly like say sabotage. This is a great inefficiency that a city is not likely to handle. Elevators keep breaking, buildings would collapse, the road would be covered in mountains of garbage and debri. And if the authorities are trigger happy to put others to death, demons would be constantly killed left and right. Demons would actually just decimate themselves.

Also add the other sytems that requires or actually based its function in trust. Economy, the heart of every city, based its function on trust. Money, trading, businesses, ownership, capital, etc. required trust to have meaning. In the absense of trust, this systems is just busted. Law enforcement, City maintenance, Taxation, Utilities and others all requires trust to function. Scruffles and violence has come up because of these.

It's this necissity of trust a city require, and seeing the the demon city is triving, that makes me conclude that Demons do trust each other a lot. Not as much as humans trust each other, but plenty enough so that a city of that size could actually be standing. Any less, and the dynamics would just be unrealistic. It would seem as if the city is maintaining itself instead of the demons (especially the lower ones) doing the job.

Actually, it already seems unrealistic. The modern conviniences, the skyscrapers, the businesses... when it seems the whole demon population is rather narcissistic and hedonistic. I even wonders where Boggy get his money... or who is making the money in the first place. These things just requires cooperation and trust to create and maintain. Who is maintaning all these things anyway.

Edited by user Friday, October 24, 2014 12:08:48 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Tizzy  
#125 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2014 12:37:52 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Yes, I don't disagree, you do have to remember that demons were all people at one point, they have been tortured and live in a hell hole, but really it's not any different than living in NYC.

Demons live in the city and trade there because it is convenient for them. One can say what one will, but the vast majority of demons recognize that having the city is in their own best interests on a lot of levels. And yes, there are those who will try to cheat and not play by the rules, and for that, there is the Fear that I talk of.

When I say fear, I don't mean fear like Kim Jung-* I mean obey the rules or there will be consequences fear. The leadership is, by and large rather laisez-faire but if you screw up the good thing others have going, you will be punished. Severely.

That being said, a rapscallion can get by with quite a bit, but eventually someone will notice and either take them out, or report them on up the scale. The parallels to western frontier town and in fact all human towns where there isn't a centralized or responsive government are there. It's not any different that.

Perhaps the example would be pirate towns in the Caribbean. There is some honor among thieves and demons, or things just don't work.

Also elevator breakdowns aren't that big of a deal since most demons have wings. Those that don't usually get garden apartments...

A lot of the buildings don't have working elevators in fact.

As for garbage...well we don't eat, urinate, vomit or poop except for pleasure so on that front it's better than NYC. And there are plenty of people around to incinerate trash.

Not surprisingly there are no bans on open fires or incinerators in the city.

Offline Maou  
#126 Posted : Saturday, October 25, 2014 5:18:06 PM(UTC)
Maou

When demons eat something where does the food go?
Offline Tizzy  
#127 Posted : Saturday, October 25, 2014 10:04:21 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Something or someone?

If they are in human form it seems to come out the otherside, like a human. According to Tom.

But as a demon, when you eat something it's pretty much up to you what happens to it. You can get rid of it with or without processing, incinerate it etc.

In general the preferred method of living creatures is to eat them and suck the mana and animus out of them while in your stomach and then get rid of the inert matter in a typical manner.
Offline Rosver  
#128 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2014 3:33:26 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Groups: Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

My point. There is a lot of trust going on.

Fear is fear. You can't get an emotion as primitive as that. Whether of death or pain, the dynamic would not change. A city ruled by fear is a short lived one.

Also a town has a very different dynamic compared to a city so your example might not actually apply. Sure such codes will work in a town where almost everyone knows everyone, but not in a city. Such a code is bound to break.

So there is really a lot of trust or things should have flushed down the toilet.

Speaking of toilet. High level demons would need a large one.
Offline Maou  
#129 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2014 6:04:29 AM(UTC)
Maou

Could the demon just shift to a smaller size to use a toilet if needed. Also does Sin City(demon city) have anything resembling a sewer system?
Offline Rosver  
#130 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2014 12:43:43 PM(UTC)
Rosver

You don't need a sewer system for a toilet to exist. A septic would hold the waste.

Though, a sewer system is very important in a city, if it needs to keep sanitary. Though in a demon city, sanitary issues from lack of working sewer might not be a problem.
Offline Tizzy  
#131 Posted : Tuesday, October 28, 2014 3:08:36 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

You don't really need a toilet, you know nomadic tribes didn't have toilets...they squat and drop.

That's what most of the 90' tall demons do. You've never seen people truly run until a 90' tall demon starts squatting over their village...
Offline Rosver  
#132 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2014 2:04:38 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Eh? You don't do that in a city. A toilet (or the low tech chamber pot) is really needed to not disturb the neighbors.

As for smelly stuff, try thioacetones, ethyl mercaptan and butyl seleno-mercaptan. Or at least try sulfides. Now those are worth running away from.

Edited by user Friday, October 31, 2014 2:07:59 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Tizzy  
#133 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2014 4:35:56 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

You don't so much do it in a city, as you do it over a city, but really more like a village if you are only 90' tall. if you are 900' tall you can do it over a city.

Those sound tasty!
Offline Rosver  
#134 Posted : Monday, November 3, 2014 6:08:25 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Well, those chemicals are said to have hell of a smell, demonic, demon's fart, etc. It might not be quite right to name it after demons... after all Tom still find nasty smells to be nasty, but no one can contest their malodorous powers.
Offline Tizzy  
#135 Posted : Monday, November 3, 2014 10:19:35 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

True...and by the way...you seem to have turned me into a Greater Demon!

Thanks!

I'm going to go see if I can rend some more powerful wizards now...
Offline Rosver  
#136 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2014 12:05:19 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Well, the two of us seems to be the one who talks much around here. I visit here about twice a week. You are probably the one I conversed with online.

By the way do you have any photos of Tom, Boggy and other demons? Also photos of Rupert, Jenn and other humans. I am trying to make a 3d model of them and some reference would be useful. Well, I could still make my models with the use of my imagination but its a fan art so I need to base my work on existing artwork.
Offline Tizzy  
#137 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2014 3:46:51 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Hmmm

That image of Tom falling into the pit for the last countdown sale is the best image of him as a human. Edwyrd looks similar, check out the who's who section for some photos.

Jenn is on the cover of the book and shows up in some photos on the site on various pages as does Gastrope'. Rupert is also on the cover, but his back is to us...

I will look around the site and add more links to the images. Maelen shows up a lot of places with a staff and looking like a jedi master as does Lenamare and Jehenna. Elrose is the guy with the dreadlocks, Hortwell is the bald skinny guy, Trisfelt is the guy that looks like Friar Tuck.

The best banner of a lot of people is at http://drawcrowd.com/quarkmaster

the guy in the purple armor is exador. The blond woman in white is Hilda who you haven't met yet.
Offline Tizzy  
#138 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2014 6:44:02 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t31.0-8/1913507_1484457595170922_6651987704491008778_o.jpg

This is the full version of the strip image from drawcrowd, forgot it was posted on FB by T-A-G.
Offline Flakes  
#139 Posted : Wednesday, November 5, 2014 3:56:33 AM(UTC)
Flakes

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Please, no more 3D art! It is incredibly bad. Comparatively it makes drugged out crazy Amanda Bynes look low key and classy.

I completely agree with the sentiment expressed here:

http://romanjones.devian...mons-of-Astlan-455458270
Offline Tizzy  
#140 Posted : Wednesday, November 5, 2014 7:13:13 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Ouch!

Dancing However, the purpose of a book's cover art is to attract attention, and it certainly attracted theirs...so it did it's job!

Hah! It's a fun discussion though. I like the cartoon!

T-A-G says he's going to pay for a traditionally illustrated cover for next book, and probably for 2nd Edition of Book 1