The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
9 Pages«<34567>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Tizzy  
#81 Posted : Friday, August 29, 2014 6:08:59 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 44 post(s)
@Lenamare Liar

I know you are, but what am I?

Sticks and Stones Can't Break My Bones, and only My True Name can hurt me!

I am rubber and you are snotty goo, whatever you say bounces off of me and sticks to you!

At least I have FRIENDS!

Have you read the book? Everyone thinks you are a stuck up egotistical jerk!

Cause you are!

Offline Maou  
#82 Posted : Saturday, August 30, 2014 4:42:51 AM(UTC)
Maou

Groups: Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Let me change the syntax of my prior comment. Most demons behave in a manner similar to one and other and will often have similar growth curves, however some demons will depending on their personalities and natural talents grow at different speeds. My prior statement was that due to the sheer magnitude of their lives that most demons will eventually reach the full potential of their talents and thus level off in power.

Therefore a demons personality will determine how they might utilize their talents, whether they choose to study things outside their specialties, and how they might choose to combine these skills. A demons growth curve is exponential in that as they are first learning of magic and acting on their talents they grow quickly, but as they master their fields their rate of growth slows. Most demons are not innovators and would much rather steal an idea. Many older demons would likely have ingrained habits and ideas. The only ones lacking these rigid concepts would be the genius and the insane as their is a thin line. Success leads to genius and failure leads to insanity. Most beings think in a somewhat similar manner, so a new viewpoint is often needed for something entirely new, where as logic can lead one to the next step.

I was merely stating that Tom state of mind is quite different than the average demon as he adapted tot the abyss quite rapidly, has had very little torture done to him which leads to his lack of an ingrained hatred, and is trying to be a good role-model for Rupert. These behaviors lead him to be mentally quite different than a typical demon. He also has a radically different view from the humans as he lacks a conviction to himself being evil and his new body has altered some of his human instincts/ limiters. By Astlanian standards Tom is abnormal or insane, and thus now could be the peak of his innovation. Look at Tizzy. Most consider him a madman, but despite pissing off many demons stronger than himself he is still alive. Demons aren't that lucky and I lack faith in coincidence. This leads one to conclude that Tizzy has some atypical skills so as to be still alive to this day.
Offline Rosver  
#83 Posted : Monday, September 1, 2014 7:17:22 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Groups: Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
@Lenamare:

That is why I add the "I guess" part in my statement. There aren't really much of reliable source about demons here.

@Tizzy:

Go Tizzy! Go Tizzy!

@Maou:

Quote:
My prior statement was that due to the sheer magnitude of their lives that most demons will eventually reach the full potential of their talents and thus level off in power.

That doesn't mean they would be super strong and powerful. As the book had said, only a few numbers of demons could actually manipulate mana and so do magic. If it is as the book says, only the most powerful leverl 4 and level 5 and 6 demons could do magic. Based on the numbers given by the book, the number of these mana manipulating demons is just in two digits, maybe somewhere around 60. That is way very few.

Quote:
Success leads to genius and failure leads to insanity.

Ow! Did you really just say that? Maybe I had to pull up some quotes to illustrate the realationship between success and failure:

"Winners are not afraid of losing. But losers are. Failure is part of the process of success. People who avoid failure also avoid success."

"If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original."

"Failure should be our teacher, not our undertaker. Failure is delay, not defeat. It is a temporary detour, not a dead end. Failure is something we can avoid only by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing."

"I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work."

Quote:
By Astlanian standards Tom is abnormal or insane, and thus now could be the peak of his innovation.

Huh? I just can't any sense out of this statement. I think it means, the hospital of mentaly insane is a place of great innovation?

Quote:
Most consider him a madman, but despite pissing off many demons stronger than himself he is still alive. Demons aren't that lucky and I lack faith in coincidence. This leads one to conclude that Tizzy has some atypical skills so as to be still alive to this day.

First, demons are immortal, they are very very difficult to kill. Demons staying alive is actually less surprising than demons being dead. Staying alive is what immortals are best known for, being dead... not so much.

As for coincidence, that may be true in real life but this is a book, it thrives in it. And the atypical skill, or more appropriately ability, your talking about is the skill of regenerating back even if you cut Tizzy to millions of pieces. A thing which every demons is capable of.

Offline Tizzy  
#84 Posted : Monday, September 1, 2014 7:19:15 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Quote:
As for coincidence, that may be true in real life but this is a book, it thrives in it. And the atypical skill, or more appropriately ability, your talking about is the skill of regenerating back even if you cut Tizzy to millions of pieces. A thing which every demons is capable of.

OK, that does it. This topic has now surpassed "Killing Demons" as my least favorite topic on the forum.

I don't know why you two want to kill me all of the sudden! Or chop me up into a million pieces, I am thinking that would hurt! i was once chopped up into a thousand and one pieces, and that hurt quite a bit. A million would be far worse, I am sure!
Offline Maou  
#85 Posted : Monday, September 1, 2014 9:20:27 PM(UTC)
Maou

@Rosver:

Quote:
My prior statement was that due to the sheer magnitude of their lives that most demons will eventually reach the full potential of their talents and thus level off in power.

I did not mean this to mean they can't grow any stronger, I simply meant it to mean they may not grow stronger naturally anymore. Experience, study, and training will still allow them to grow further, but at this point they will generally grow at a much slower rate.

Quote:

Here I simply meant that most true leaps forward are made by those with fluid mindsets who can think outside of the box that the average person would view a situation from. This does however lead to those with a different view of the world as to being labeled insane as people don't typically like people who think differently than them as much as those who think like them. These people will try new things and if successful they will be hailed as a genius, but if they fail they will be labeled as a nutjob for trying to accomplish the impossible.

Quote:
By Astlanian standards Tom is abnormal or insane, and thus now could be the peak of his innovation.

Again he views things from a seperate point of view. He still lacks the perception of the world that many native Astlanians have and this alternative means of interpretation could lead to a few new aspects of magic being uncovered and could lead to a difference in how he chooses to wield said magic in a different way.

Quote:
Most consider him a madman, but despite pissing off many demons stronger than himself he is still alive. Demons aren't that lucky and I lack faith in coincidence. This leads one to conclude that Tizzy has some atypical skills so as to be still alive to this day.

While demons are immortal, they can be killed. It is the reason why many demons rarely fight somebody of a higher rank, sure they could torture you, but a more powerful demon could torture you, but a more powerful demon might permanently end a weaker demon simply due to annoyance as we might swat a fly. Demons do often stay alive for long periods of time, but they are on occasion killed by wizards, holy orders, and other demons. Demons are not true immortals. They can be killed, not be age or illness, but by spells or anything else that could destroy their manabody or soul.

The regenerative ability is well known so should one purposefully decide to kill a demon it is not impossible to overcome. As for coincidence, their is plenty in the book, however in most instances it has been used for humor, to fuel paranoia, or both. Many books have to much coincidence to be believable. This is a work of fantasy, but to have a destined coincidentally fulfill many obscure events only to have them be important later is strange. Not every one you meet will have an impact on your life later. Also proper villains would kill the heroes instead of giving them multiple multiple near death situations. Instead of letting a future threat roam free they would stab them in the face. They would not give a speech and then set them free, but simply kill them.

Edited by user Monday, September 1, 2014 9:21:58 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Lenamare The Great  
#86 Posted : Monday, September 1, 2014 9:56:56 PM(UTC)
Lenamare The Great

Groups: Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

I find it rather bemusing that anyone would even bring up the word "failure" in a forum topic I have graced with my commentary.

I have no patience for failure, failure is not an option to be discussed.

Now to correct the record:

Quote:

Correctly stated:

Genius leads to Success; Failure leads to Obscurity and Irrelevance.

History is a very harsh mistress and it is determined by the successful.

I suppose, should I wax philosophical, I might point out that the only thing good about that word, "failure" is that, eventually people who fail are forgotten by history and so no one remembers that one failed. In fact, they simply forget that the person who failed ever existed.

If that is not Existential Justice, then I don't know what is.

Offline Rosver  
#87 Posted : Monday, September 1, 2014 10:12:44 PM(UTC)
Rosver

Groups: Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

@Tizzy:

He he! Maou started it.

@Maou:

No! That is not what I mean also. The book itself describes the demons level of abilities to be static. When the demon is level 1 they stay at that level. When they are level 5 they stay at that level too. They don't get stronger or weaker. They just don't change.

This is not what most people really thinks/reacts nor was things really this simple. You might be overgeneralizing things too much.

First, you say that that failure leads to insanity. Then you say insanity could be the peak of innovation. That is what doesn't make any sense.

Is it really that surprising to you that no one decided to permanently kill Tizzy? Do you really need more reason for Tizzy for living that long asside from from others haven't decided on permanently killing him yet? Do you really also think that Tizzy is that annoying that the other demons wants to really excert the effort or permanently killing him? Also, permanently killing a demon isn't like swating a fly you know. It do require a great deal of effort.

Well, true, coincidences is very strange in real world, but not in fiction. Authors has always intercept with logic in the stories to make things interesting. Meeting their true love, meeting a person who just have the skills to solve the problem, someone saving the hero at the nick of time, etc. There are a lot of small and big coincidences staple in fiction. Many authors overdo it and it just kills the story. But you have to acknowledge, without these coincidences, the story would just become mighty boring.
Offline Madfox11  
#88 Posted : Friday, September 26, 2014 6:50:13 AM(UTC)
Madfox11

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I am a bit late to the discussion, but wouldn't most mortal observers of said duel actually conclude that the god is angry with his follower for that final bit of cheating and using Tom to express said feeling? I don't know how things work in Astlan, but I have read about a couple of other worlds and in those planes paladins of uptight deities should not make promises they had no intent on keeping even when made to Evil. Furthermore, I suspect it is also a lot more comforting to mortals to belief the god used a demon to do this than that a demon can actually steal the power of your god. Hack, even said deity might prefer people to belief so since it keeps the image of infallibility intact.
Offline Tizzy  
#89 Posted : Friday, September 26, 2014 5:25:56 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Your position is basically Tom's position.

Tom told me that was his feeling. Talarius cheated. Good guys aren't supposed to cheat.

Now, that being said: Astlanian gods are far from omniscient, so unless Tiernon or one of his reps was watching, they won't know about the cheating...yet.

Of course, the mortals don't know this, and so many may conclude what you did, but experience with these folks means tells me they probably won't reach the same conclusion. Demons are just evil to them, no matter what.

And Talarius and the Rod? Well, remember there are competing pantheons, so while clearly people who worship Etonian Gods (Tiernon and the others) think of them as good; those who worship gods of other pantheons don't particularly see Talarius and the Rod as "good guys" that have to wear a white hat.

What is interesting is that Exador (I think in Book 1, if not then in Book 2) does notes that Talarius was pushing the bounds of what was considered good when he was Vicar General of the Rod and concludes that he (Exador) must have had an influence on the religion.

Offline Jonnyboi  
#90 Posted : Friday, September 26, 2014 6:44:41 PM(UTC)
Jonnyboi

Originally Posted by: Tizzy Go to Quoted Post
Your position is basically Tom's position.

Tom told me that was his feeling. Talarius cheated. Good guys aren't supposed to cheat.

Now, that being said: Astlanian gods are far from omniscient, so unless Tiernon or one of his reps was watching, they won't know about the cheating...yet.

Of course, the mortals don't know this, and so many may conclude what you did, but experience with these folks means tells me they probably won't reach the same conclusion. Demons are just evil to them, no matter what.

And Talarius and the Rod? Well, remember there are competing pantheons, so while clearly people who worship Etonian Gods (Tiernon and the others) think of them as good; those who worship gods of other pantheons don't particularly see Talarius and the Rod as "good guys" that have to wear a white hat.

What is interesting is that Exador (I think in Book 1, if not then in Book 2) does notes that Talarius was pushing the bounds of what was considered good when he was Vicar General of the Rod and concludes that he (Exador) must have had an influence on the religion.

So are you saying that Talarius wasn't suppose to cheat? Does Tiernon actually even care? I mean Tom was a demon and i'm thinking the good acts of love don't apply to them in Tiernon's book.
It's hard to be good so why try?
Offline Tizzy  
#91 Posted : Friday, September 26, 2014 9:29:28 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

I am sure Talarius thought Tom would cheat, he's a demon after all.

However, Tom, foolishly if you ask me, thought for some odd reason that Holy Knights in Shining Army were the "good guys" or were supposed to be.

I'm thinking he paid too much attention to the history of Greyhawk and too little attention to the Crusades of Earth's Middle Ages. Of course, if he'd ever been to Westeros, he'd have also known better.

Of course, I have a soft spot for Westeros, you've never been to a wedding until you've been to one in the Riverlands of Westeros. Those are my kind of wedding! Much more fun than the normal stuffy kind. My buddy, Walder, he knows how to put on a shindig! He also knows something about cheating and betrayal...

Offline Madfox11  
#92 Posted : Saturday, September 27, 2014 10:45:01 AM(UTC)
Madfox11

Originally Posted by: Jonnyboi Go to Quoted Post
So are you saying that Talarius wasn't suppose to cheat? Does Tiernon actually even care? I mean Tom was a demon and i'm thinking the good acts of love don't apply to them in Tiernon's book.

From what I read in between the lines, Tiernon would not care. Exador pointed out Talarius was the most infused champion he had seen and some of Talarius' acts and mindset don't mash very well with those Greyhawk paladins Tizzy mentioned (unless they serve St. Cuthbert that is).

I am merely arguing on what mortal observers would likely conclude based on my limited experience with mortals on this planet called Earth. It is just that most humans on this world tend to stick to their illusions of comfort, at times suicidal so. Demons stealing power from your deity seems to make your god look rather weak, while gods using demons to punish their followers seems to be all in line with many religions. Then again, Astlan deities are not infallable and omnipotent, and as such a demon doing something wicked, like stealing the power of your deity, is probably a lot more comfortable than having your fundamental believes on what is good and right be shaked at its foundations* ;)

* Even if the god apparently only got angry when you surrender and stab somebody in the back which might be seen as the deity being angry at the fact that you surrendered to Evil in the first place.... Mmmm... religion is complicated ;)
Offline Tizzy  
#93 Posted : Saturday, September 27, 2014 3:20:49 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Yeah,

that makes sense, but a lot of this still have to be processed (book II) the initial reaction is shock, I think.

But yes, lots of different people have different reactions, and that's what book II is about, at least the first half or so, then the rest is the repercussions of those reactions.

The mana stealing is big, it's not supposed to be possible. Also one key point is that for most observers that weren't participants it's probably not completely clear what happened. Unless you were watching with wizard/demon/elvish whatever sight, etc.

However, I can say, as a demon, rather than thinking Tiernon looked weak, most are going to be worried about retaliation from Tiernon and friends. At least that's what I'm worried about.

Offline smw  
#94 Posted : Saturday, September 27, 2014 6:49:00 PM(UTC)
smw

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Originally Posted by: Tizzy Go to Quoted Post
Yeah,

However, I can say, as a demon, rather than thinking Tiernon looked weak, most are going to be worried about retaliation from Tiernon and friends. At least that's what I'm worried about.

Friends... like The Heavenly Host? That would make an awesome title for a book...
Offline Tizzy  
#95 Posted : Sunday, September 28, 2014 3:31:42 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

d'oh!

It would indeed! I'm going to have to tell T-A-G to think about using that!

Offline Rosver  
#96 Posted : Tuesday, September 30, 2014 6:37:36 AM(UTC)
Rosver

A retaliation from the gods can't be good. Remember the mythologies? The gods rather gives overly harsh acts for petty insults.
Offline Flakes  
#97 Posted : Tuesday, September 30, 2014 7:44:14 AM(UTC)
Flakes

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Retaliation from a God?

"But I'm an enslaved demon. My accused master ordered me to drain your holy Grace/mana to fuel his feindish spells. If you want to retaliate against someone, he is ultimatly responsible."
Offline Madfox11  
#98 Posted : Tuesday, September 30, 2014 8:14:09 AM(UTC)
Madfox11

Originally Posted by: Flakes Go to Quoted Post
Retaliation from a God?

"But I'm an enslaved demon. My accused master ordered me to drain your holy Grace/mana to fuel his feindish spells. If you want to retaliate against someone, he is ultimatly responsible."

As if gods ever bother to ask questions first... not to mention their track record in regards to only punishing the guilty are not too good either. Mind you, if you can say it quick and convincingly enough, you at least get the satisfaction of getting your accursed master hurt as well. Mind you, you might end up with the Rod on a crusade against the whole Wizard Council, which is probably fine by most demons, but Tom seems to care a bit about keeping innocents alive ;)
Offline Tizzy  
#99 Posted : Tuesday, September 30, 2014 2:08:01 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Yes, I would definitely agree.

Gods don't have a lot of patience, they are not subtle, and they generally don't work in mysterious ways.

As I've mentioned before, a bolt of Blue Lightning is usually the only warning you get, and even then, you're dead.

Offline Rosver  
#100 Posted : Tuesday, September 30, 2014 2:56:47 PM(UTC)
Rosver

Astlan gods seems to be different from Greek/Roman gods but still their wrath is horrible to experience. The Christian God for example has moments of extreme ruthlessness. Greek/Roman gods more so. Just even being a focus of their interest portends bad things. I even think that people gives offerings to these gods so that they wont attract attention.