The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
9 Pages«<45678>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Tizzy  
#101 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2014 12:21:42 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 44 post(s)
I've never met one that could.

I'm not aware of any demons less than IV that can reliably shape change. And not all IV's can. I gotta tell you there are some seriously ugly ass giant demon monster guys out there that would probably love to be able to change form--but they can't.

A few 3's can temporarily do it, in the Abyss, but they generally can't hold it for long (as per Boggy's and my's discussion with Tom early on).

Now that being said, if a demon can do magic, and there are a few threes that can, they could cast an illusion.

In fact, this is standard operating procedure for the Succubae and Incubae, most of them are around level 3. They most certainly can appear to be someone/something else, subject to the victim's desires. Now this is not so much spell casting as innate ability and is related to their ability to charm/mesmerize and cause lust in their victims/targets.

Someone who is immune to the *bus' charms would see them as they are, but the victims tend to see them as someone/thing highly desirable, at least if the Sucubbus/Incubus wants them to/is trying.
Offline Anskier  
#102 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2014 5:36:52 AM(UTC)
Anskier

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Speaking of demon powers.

When Tom was first summoned they commented about how it was confusing as to why he didn't use any level IV tricks, what kinds of things were they talking about?

Also when Tom confronted the lone soldier on his way back from delivering the message to the other wizard, the soldier attacked him with a whip and it went through him but when he tried with a sword it didn't - Why?
Offline Tizzy  
#103 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2014 5:54:55 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Good questions.

I am not convinced J&L even knew what they meant,they'd have been going off tales told by others, I personally doubt either had actually summoned an unbound 4 before.

However, there are plenty of legends about what the high powered demons can do in those circumstances out there on the Astral plane.
For example: prying into the minds of the recipients via empathy/telepathy (not clear what) and extracting the conjuror's deepest fears and then creating illusions, or realities that attack the conjuror with their deepest feats.

Mind games, illusions, all sorts of trickeries and deceptions, Perhaps turning to mist and seeping through the holes in the magic net
When there is a group, do fear attacks on the weakest link, try to break the circle of power. If it knows spells it could cast counter or neutralized spells.

Now as to the whip..

First demons and other exptraplanars (in their true form) can only be hurt by magic items or iron based items (and in some cases silver or other metals)

The whip was leather, dead flesh and Tom didn't even notice it, if he'd noticed it, it would have hit him but not hurt...think of it being similar to his flame form which is insubstantial.

Live flesh with animus in, would have touched him whether he knew it or not.

The sword was iron, or perhaps steel, which contains iron. So therefore he felt it, but it wasn't sharp enough to hurt him.

Talarius, later on, had a sword with iron in it and it was super blessed/magical.

Edited by user Tuesday, September 9, 2014 5:57:03 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Rosver  
#104 Posted : Wednesday, September 10, 2014 7:38:32 PM(UTC)
Rosver

Groups: Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Wow. Wizards are paranoid. Even if they said they are 'scientific' they are still very much suceptible to heresay. So much for science.

Have wondered about the whip too but was looking forward for it in book 2. Well, it isn't that big anyway. Not a very big spoiler.
Offline Tizzy  
#105 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2014 1:06:04 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

What spoiler?

"Later on Talarius..."

Was talking about when Talarius shows up in book 1. His sword, Ruiden has iron in it, and is very magical. Believe it or not, when Talrius says his sword is hungry, happy, angry, sad etc. He's not projecting on to it. It's an intelligent sword (not a person, but a spirit)
Offline Rosver  
#106 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2014 5:29:17 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Groups: Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Not that. The spoiler is the explanation, the mechanics of how things works. With the advance knowledge that we have, the sense of discovery and exploration is reduced. This sense of wonder and discovery is a typical fare in Fantasy. This is the very charm in Alice in Wonderland. We meet all those wacky characters and Wonderland's curious logic for a great read.

I was kinda waiting for book two to explore the nature of demon bodies, their anantomy so to speak.
Offline Korwin  
#107 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2014 8:11:33 AM(UTC)
Korwin

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Rosver Go to Quoted Post
Not that. The spoiler is the explanation, the mechanics of how things works. With the advance knowledge that we have, the sense of discovery and exploration is reduced. This sense of wonder and discovery is a typical fare in Fantasy. This is the very charm in Alice in Wonderland. We meet all those wacky characters and Wonderland's curious logic for a great read.

I was kinda waiting for book two to explore the nature of demon bodies, their anantomy so to speak.
Arent we constantly asking for spoilers, here on this forum?
If we count questions about how the world works as spoilers...

Edited by user Thursday, September 11, 2014 8:12:17 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline The Author Guy  
#108 Posted : Friday, September 12, 2014 12:41:36 AM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 86 post(s)
So maybe I should repeat and expand on what I said a little bit ago in another topic....

Tizzy is a demon. He is also insane. I hate to burst his bubble, but he is not omniscient and there is no guarantee anything he says is true.

In fact, if you want a "real spoiler" a lot of characters, in the book(s), in the Library Documents/Appendices, and in the forum are going to tell you what they know to be true, or what they believe to be true. That doesn't make it so.

So for example, if one character says one thing as fact, and another character says something else that is contrary...that's not a plot inconsistency just like in real life you have to judge which one to believe by weighing the evidence. The same is true for all the articles/documents you and or Tom have been reading. They are some scholars writings/beliefs/knowledge. They could have some stuff wrong, or all of it.

That's actually something of why I have so many different points of view. I know from some reviews the large number of different points of view drive some people nuts. Truth is mutable.

Also, remember Tizzy is a likable demon. he will tell people things to get them to like him. So, who knows? he could just be agreeing with Maou to get him to like him, and pulling stuff out of his pipe storage....
Offline Rosver  
#109 Posted : Sunday, September 14, 2014 6:25:55 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Uh... does that mean we are just wasting our time having discusion here? Should we stop?

That kinda kill my interest to continue being here. If I can get essentially nothing here better do nothing yes?

Huh! What a bummer.
Offline Tizzy  
#110 Posted : Monday, September 15, 2014 12:09:31 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

d'oh!

So one moment you are bummed because you are getting too much information and it is spoiling the next book for you

And the next you want to leave because you might not be?

And they say I'm insane? Angel

This is life...this is how you find truth...you experience it, you collect information from various sources, not all of which are accurate, some of which might be deceptive, you then have to put the pieces together and figure out which ones you believe and which ones you don't.

That's how science works, that's also how religion should work...that's actually how all good stories work. (Of course, DoA being non-fiction, this isn't applicable here but...)

That being said...this author guy is the one who's lying. Remember, I am telling him the story, he lives in your world, not mine, nor Astlan. He's never actually been to Astlan. So I don't know how he thinks he knows more than I do. He's just a guy with a hell of a lot of ego.

I wouldn't believe anything he says.

Trust me. I am the truth, I am the way and the light! I am Tizzy!

Offline Rosver  
#111 Posted : Monday, September 15, 2014 2:29:25 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Huh? That is not what I was saying.

I had never asked questions I don't want to be answered. My questions often deals with descripancies like those appliances in the Abyss, and the Nuclear Reaction/Quarks issue. The answer to them aren't spoilers since I was asking for clarifications for what I see errors.

And the reason for why I want to leave is because The Author Guy essentially just says that the discussion here can't be trusted in anyway. That anything here is deceptive. That what you, Tizzy, spouted is just lies. The whole thing is one big prank. What are we going to do when what we are discussing earnestly turns out to be just crap? Hmmm?

As for truthful information, then, if The Author guy is correct, that is something that we shouldn't expect from you. Why discuss something with you when it will not be of any truth anyway?

And no science and religion don't work that way. Science is about studying the world. It is not about choosing what to and what not to believe. The truth is out there, you just have to observe and study it. Religion is belief and worship of superpowers (god, deties). It is also not about choosing what to and what not to believe. It already has sets of beliefs that you had to accept if you follow that religion. And stories, that is just a different beast entirely.

A discussion however is different. It has to be based solidly for it to go sensibly. If we are discussing like: that earth is really flat instead of being round, or cats are dogs in disguise, you are just wasting your time.

And... Uhhh... what to believe now.
Offline Tizzy  
#112 Posted : Tuesday, September 16, 2014 1:33:37 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Actually, science does work that way.

Evidence is given to you, you have to examine it and see how the pieces fit together, formulate a theory and then test it, collect more evidence and revise it. Repeat forever.

That is what the Scientific Method is. That's why people talk about "Scientific Theories" and not "Scientific Facts" Scientific knowledge is not handed to us on a silver platter, it must be ferreted out and tested for veracity, repeat-ability and one must see what can then extrapolate to make predictions on, and test those predictions. It's often wrong, and subject to revision...science is a process of continual revision of what we know. At any point in time what lay people call "scientific fact" is simply the best theory/estimate that the scientific method has produced at a particular point in time.

In this case, what the author guy is talking about is that like in a trial, the readers are presented with various pieces of evidence, including testimony, the jury (reader) has to determine what to trust, whose testimony is credible and whose is not. All characters and participants have a point of view, a story to tell, "their side" it is your job as reader/jury to evaluate the testimony and evidence you are given and come up with a theory as to what has really happened.

Same with all those CSI TV shows: Forensic Science as we know it: the police don't usually "know what happened" they have evidence and maybe some stories from various people, but they have to put it together, the police and prosecution then put together a theory and they test it and tweak it and then present it to the jury for them to determine "the facts of the case"

it's the job the jury to determine the facts of the case and render a decision as to culpability of the defendant.

The books, this site have pieces of evidence and T-A-G, Lenamare, Wylan and myself are giving you testimony.

You have to put all the pieces together to solve a puzzle.

But again, let me reassure you, I've been at this for millenia, I know what I am talking about. You can just trust everything I say as 100% true. Ignore that very disreputable T-A-G

T-A-G is just trying to unnerve you. he's the real demon....

Offline Korwin  
#113 Posted : Wednesday, September 17, 2014 7:39:25 AM(UTC)
Korwin

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Rosver Go to Quoted Post
And the reason for why I want to leave is because The Author Guy essentially just says that the discussion here can't be trusted in anyway. That anything here is deceptive. That what you, Tizzy, spouted is just lies. The whole thing is one big prank. What are we going to do when what we are discussing earnestly turns out to be just crap? Hmmm?
Also don't forget, an Author is allowed to change his mind!
At least while the book is not published. Shame on you
What if he wrote himself in an corner in book 2, should he not be allowed to change anything in book 2, because of an forum post?

Offline The Author Guy  
#114 Posted : Wednesday, September 17, 2014 1:48:18 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 86 post(s)
I definitely agree with that.

I'm very good at writing myself into a corner...

However, to restate my point: Tizzy, Wylan and other characters, when they post here, it's no different than a reader posting. Albeit a reader that happens to live in either Astlan or the Abyss, which gives them more knowledge than the typical reader. They are stating their own opinions and beliefs, based on their knowledge.

I am not saying they are necessarily lying (although we all know demons do that) but they may not have all the information. None of the characters are omniscient (not even the gods in the book(s)).

In other words, Tizzy's answers are not to be considered 'ex-cathedra' he is not infallible, he is not omniscent nor omnipresent, he's a person and he can be wrong.

The only person that can speak, or maybe/might possibly speak 'ex-cathera' is me. And I will try very hard not to speak about the plot/history/background in that manner due to a) spoilers and b) writing myself into a corner.

Offline Rosver  
#115 Posted : Thursday, September 18, 2014 4:10:03 AM(UTC)
Rosver

@Tizzy:

Scienctific method... we are talking about Science! Don't confuse the two! And don't confuse it with science theries and science facts either.

Yeah, I'm quite unnerved.

@Korwin:

No they are not!

What we are talkin here is book 1. Book 2 doesn't exist yet. It might not even get published! The author can't change his mind from what he writen in book 1. Look at the many comic books out there. Thier constant change of mind, create a mess that even the fans can't make sense of.

Research "continuity snarl."

Quote:
What if he wrote himself in an corner in book 2, should he not be allowed to change anything in book 2, because of an forum post?

Of course he can. I think, there is nothing in my post that tells that he can't. Where did you get this?

@The Author Guy:

So... Tizzy doesn't know much about Demon anatomy? Or where those cars, elevators, escalators (and probably TV, computers, and gasoline) in The Abyss came from. He seems to be sure. Is he not necessarily lying or is he really lying?

You must understand. I'm a person of knowledge. I love gathering them. It is really a discomfort to me that what is presented as fact is really not.
Offline Tizzy  
#116 Posted : Thursday, September 18, 2014 2:13:37 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Scientific Method and science, don't confuse the two?

You do know that doesn't make any sense to me? Science is defined by the Scientific Method. Period. If a field of study doesn't use the scientific method, it's not science, by definition. In fact, those "sciences" that get hand wavy with the scientific method are called the 'soft science" in particular because they are soft on the use of the scientific method. Hard Sciences are hard because they apply the Scientific method rigorously. Physics, Chemistry, Biology and most of their sub disciplines. Most psychology and social sciences as well as archaeology are considered soft, typically because there are too many unknowns to rigorously apply the scientific method, so they get as close as they can.

There is no such thing as science fact. There is empirical evidence, which is by definition measurable and repeatedly measurable under the same conditions, but that is not a fact.

One of the very few things that T-A-G told me that made any sense (from him) was the following:

Quote:
When I was in grad school for lo those many years, we had a saying:

You go to college and you study really hard.
Once you are done studying and you feel you know everything, they give you a Bachelor's degree.
You then study some more, do some more digging,
When you realize that "Maybe I don't know everything." They give you a Master's degree.
You then work your butt off pursuing what you realized you didn't understand when you got your Master's degree.
When you finally realize that you know absolutely nothing...then they give you a Ph.D.

Also, I know a lot about my anatomy, other demons have different anatomies. I have made a concerted effort to study the anatomies of willing female demons, but unfortunately, that is not very many. Like Freud I have a very limited sample set.

The non-quoted content on this site are excerpts from books in the Council Library. If those books are correct, then the information is correct. Things like the Aetos have wings and live in the mountains is generally factualy, although I suppose there might be one or two to be found in a city on the plains.

Writing on the Calendar and Astrology, that's generally accepted fact that someone has written, there isn't much disagreement on this.

But when it comes to speculating on the number demon princes, archdemons, the concordenax, or how the various planes interact? Those documents are by sages that have been studying and thinking about it. But there isn't a huge body of empirical evidence to back this stuff up.

So anyway, stuff in the Library is stuff Maelen/Tom found in the Council Library etc Maybe they aren't the best books, or there are newer or better ones out there somewhere else.

Stuff that I say, is stuff that I say, it's what I know to be true based upon my experiences, and while I have never EVER been wrong about ANYTHING, I am only demon, and it is theoretically possible that I may at some point in the far distant future say something that is "technically" inaccurate.
Offline Rosver  
#117 Posted : Thursday, September 18, 2014 10:23:39 PM(UTC)
Rosver

Quote:
Science is defined by the Scientific Method

Huh? This is a strong misconception. Though the scientific method is a sort of holly grail for scientist it does not define science. They are not one and the same.

Soft science, Hard science... so you can already see that scientific method isn't a catch all in science. You do actually understand the nature of science and scientific method. You already have the knowledge. I can't see why you don't get my point about scientific method if you already know this.

Scientific fact and empirical evidence... and we are not discussing this. Why would you put such a red herring? Oh! Of course you're a demon! So frustrating.

Edited by user Thursday, September 18, 2014 10:38:22 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Tizzy  
#118 Posted : Friday, September 19, 2014 12:21:21 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

???

How exactly do you define science, if not through the use of the scientific method?

The scientific method is a method for studying observable phenomenon, measuring, quantifying, developing theories, testing theories with predictions and comparing results of future measurements to predicted measurements and then revising the theory.

That is science...that's the definition. What do you call science?

And why I am bring it up is because we were talking about mutable reality, and whether "facts" are subject to revision or correction.

Here is a "Scientific Fact" that I can torture you with:

In the 1980's, students taking classes in Astrophysics would have learned the "fact" that the observable universe was about 18 billion years old, 17-18B years.

Now today, you would expect that the current generation of such students would be taught the observable universe is 17 to 18 billion years old, plus 30 years.

However, they are instead given the "scientific fact" that the universe is really around 13 to 14 billion years old!!!

How is the universe getting younger, while the rest of us are getting older?

Well--obviously, it wasn't the universe's age that changed, it was human's measurement techniques and their theories and estimates of the expansion of the universe.

So...my point is...I don't believe in "Scientific Facts" there are no facts in science. There is simply empirically measurable evidence.

When the overwhelming preponderance of the evidence (as in certain courts of law) points to a particular conclusion, then people generally accept that conclusion of as a "fact."

See "Global Warming" as a text book case for what I am talking about.

However, if the evidence changes, then the "facts" can change. Like the age of the universe.

Now that makes determining "facts" rather difficult, and this is what I think you don't like.

But I will say, that while determining "facts" is difficult, determining "non-facts" is pretty easy. It's much easier to rule out possibilities than to settle on a single truth.

Earth scientists may not be exactly sure on the age of the Earth. But they do know for a "fact" that it is NOT 5,000+ years old. There is a more than overwhelming preponderance of evidence and extremely well tested theory to categorically disprove the idea that the Earth is 5,000 years old.

How old it really is, can be a matter of some debate, but we have narrowed it down and excluded a lot of ages. 1) It's not older than the Universe, 2) It's not older than the Sun--probably--not if current accretion models of planetary development hold and 3) It's definitely a lot more than a billion years.

Most likely 4.5 billion give or take.

So anyway...you shouldn't freak out about things on this website not being "hard facts" When you get to the core of reality (at the Quantum level) there are very few immutable facts. Reality is how we measure it, how we perceive it. Perceptions can change...

PS

You know that bit about the universe being 13 to 14 billion years old?

Nah, that's a bad measurement. It's really 17.8695468 or so billion years old.

After all, I do know (roughly) how old I am.

Dancing

Offline Wylan of Oorstemoth  
#119 Posted : Friday, September 19, 2014 12:45:14 AM(UTC)
Wylan of Oorstemoth

Liar Liar!
Shame on you Foul beast of hell!
Not talking I should not even read your stupid posts!!!!!

Silenced HOW DARE YOU SAY THERE ARE NO IMMUTABLE FACTS??????
Silenced THE LAW IS TRUE
Silenced THE LAW IS IMMUTABLE AND ALMOST UNCHANGING
(It does grow, of course)
Silenced I simply can't believe you would spout such heresy demon!

Clearly you and your foul kind deserve the fate that awaits you at the hands of the Law of Oorstemoth!
I can't reveal our plans, but rest assured, you shall not escape the law and HIGH JUSTICE by fleeing to the Abyss.
We won't chase you to the "Gates of Hell" We shall follow you right through those damned gates!!!
Offline Rosver  
#120 Posted : Friday, September 19, 2014 2:26:06 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Quote:
How exactly do you define science, if not through the use of the scientific method?.

Just a little google would came up with a lot of difinitions of science and non of them pin it to scientific method. In fact the body of science has existed before scientific method is developed (around 17th century). Aristotle, Galileo, Copernicus, and other wellknown people of science exist long before that.

Of course you can't disqualify such things as the three states of mater (solid, liquid, gas), organic and inorganic, properties of metal, and other scientific stuff which have been known and understood since prehistory which enable them to create such things as the pyramids, clocks, firecrackers, medicine, clothing and other stuff.

Scientific method have been a break through, a revolutionary development in science but never for once think scientific method need to exist for science to be born.

Quote:
The scientific method is a method for studying observable phenomenon, measuring, quantifying, developing theories, testing theories with predictions and comparing results of future measurements to predicted measurements and then revising the theory

You define scientific method but again we are discusing science not scientific method. Please stop pulling this straw man at me.

And my point about scientific facts is... this is not what we are arguing. What your point about it can be debated but since I had made no stance about it, I can just choose to agree with you and be done with it. I really have no interest in following this red herring.