The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
9 Pages«<56789>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Tizzy  
#121 Posted : Monday, September 22, 2014 1:20:31 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 44 post(s)
OK, I give up.
Offline Tizzy  
#122 Posted : Monday, September 22, 2014 1:32:20 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Ok,

No I don't.

Wikipedia "the scientific method"

First paragraph:

The scientific method is a body of techniques for investigating phenomena, acquiring new knowledge, or correcting and integrating previous knowledge.[1] To be termed scientific, a method of inquiry must be based on empirical and measurable evidence subject to specific principles of reasoning.[2] The Oxford English Dictionary defines the scientific method as "a method or procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses."[3]

From the Overview

The scientific method is the process by which science is carried out.[10] Science builds on previous knowledge, and this can lead to improvements and refinements over time.[11] The scientific method can function in the same way,[12][13] meaning that it can become more effective at understanding, and even generating new knowledge.[14][15] For example, the concept of falsification (first proposed in 1934) formalizes the attempt to disprove hypotheses rather than prove them.[16]

This model can be seen to underlay the scientific revolution.[17] One thousand years ago, Alhazen demonstrated the importance of forming questions and subsequently testing them,[18] an approach which was advocated by Galileo in 1638 with the publication of Two New Sciences.[19] The current method is based on a hypothetico-deductive model[20] formulated in the 20th century, although it has undergone significant revision since first proposed (for a more formal discussion, see below).

You can see from above that the rudiments of the "Scientific Method" go back well over a thousand years.

The whole point of this red herring is that you said that "Science doesn't work by comparing pieces of evidence compiling that with adds up, setting aside that which doesn't and making comparative judgements on various pieces of evidence and drawing a conclusion as to the nature of what is correct and what is incorrect."

That is what science does. It's the exact same thing that the author was asking you to do in judging the content of this site. Not all of it is going to match up, some of it may be wrong. That does not ipso facto disqualify the site and any reason to visit it. Your job with the site and the book is to draw your own conclusions as to the nature of reality...or at least the book's reality.

And incidentally, that is basically what Wizardry tries to do with animagic. Although, since animagic is much more squishy than physics, I'd argue that Wizardy might be called a semi-soft science. But it does manage to create a systematic method for dealing with mana and animus that is repeatable and mostly reliable.
Offline Rosver  
#123 Posted : Monday, September 22, 2014 6:08:01 PM(UTC)
Rosver

Groups: Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Again you are defining scientific method not science itself. Again the two are not the same. If you keep defining scientific method and not science then we can't make headway.

Also they are rudiments of science method, as you say, but that does not mean they are scientific methods.

OK. I was over reacted at that time. Really I was so dismayed by what The Author Guy says. He kinda hit my berserk button and I go all out. Now that I have cooled down (it was so long ago), I kinda almost forgot it.

Huh? I never said anything in this line. I checked my posts and nope there is none.

Also, things that doesn't add up is very important to science. If things don't add up, then it is worth investigating. The popular example would be the particle-wave nature of light. The facts just don't add up and has befudled scientist for years. The research into it lead to rather amazing discoveries.

I concede. I agree with your statement about this site. Never should have made an outburst like that. Sorry for making a rukus.

As for mana... I can't really just accept your statements now. The Author Guy warns me so. I have to study what you say and separate the truth from the lies cross referencing it with other sources and make some more studies. Maybe able to make a proper conclusion few weeks hence.... Aargh! Why does everything has to be made complicated.
Offline Tizzy  
#124 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2014 1:30:39 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

You shouldn't listen to T-A-G; as I've said he can't be trusted.

I'm the friendly one who talks to everyone, he just goes around being a big know it all, and barely bothers to grace us with his presence.

I swear to Lillith, oh wait, she wants to kill me, I swear to Sammael, T-A-G has a bigger ego than Tiernon.

I never lie to my friends...

We are friends yes? You, me, Boggy, Tom, Rupert, Gastrope', Jenn, Antefalken, Maelen...wow...I think that's the most friends I've had in the last two thousand years, at least!

Pray

Offline Rosver  
#125 Posted : Thursday, September 25, 2014 7:18:09 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Groups: Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

The Author Guy do seem to no frequent here. Maybe he is busy writing.

Yes we are friends.

Why haven't you make that much friends in that many years?
Offline Tizzy  
#126 Posted : Friday, September 26, 2014 12:25:45 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

I don't know, I try, but for some reason people just start making annoyed faces at me and then cover their ears and walk away.

Maybe I have bad breath? It smells fine to me?

Offline NocandlE  
#127 Posted : Friday, September 26, 2014 6:19:16 AM(UTC)
NocandlE

Groups: Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Tizzy - "OK!

Figured it out d'oh!

For whatever reason, this particular Forum i.e. "This Website Forum" was set with "no count" on. Meaning don't count posts in this forum in the totals.

I think this was set because I may have renamed an existing/predefined "Help with the Forum" Topic and by default since the Forum is supposed to be about the forum, and not about "real" discussions it was marked to not count. Or maybe I just created the forum and was thinking that way and forgot.

That happens a lot. Your short term memory starts to go as you get older, I know after my first millenia I had trouble remembering what I'd done as recently as three or four decades prior...sheesh...talk about awkward!

Anyway, since NocandlE had only posted in this forum, he never got counted.

I'f changed that so from now on posts in this forum will get counted.

Unfortunately I have no way to restore those post counts (although maybe it will do it automatically)

I wish I could manually adjust post counts, because I'd be able to turn myself into a Demon Prince then..."

There, lets see if it works now....

In regards to the topic of this thread. It would be interesting to get a perspective on "power up/ evolution" of a demon that started out as a minor shade/ shadow, and over the x number of years/milenia moved up the spectrum of power. If such a demon exists and is..... of sound mental function.
Offline NocandlE  
#128 Posted : Friday, September 26, 2014 6:20:36 AM(UTC)
NocandlE

Groups: Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Success! It works....
Offline Tizzy  
#129 Posted : Friday, September 26, 2014 5:16:14 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Applause

Woo Hoo! You are now a Shadow+

At 5 posts you become a Sprite!

Of course, to get to be an all powerful Imp you need 50 posts!

Now, I don't think we'll ever see them because by definition, there are Astral Onlooker's who are guests and have never posted. Users, i.e. registered users are all Shadows until 5 posts when they become Sprites.

Imps need 50 posts
Fiends are 100+ posts
Demons are 200+ posts
Major Demons are 300 posts (but this may go up as time goes by.)
Greater Demons are 400 currently.
Arch Demons are 500
Demon Princes are ??? not set in the ladder.

What do people think of these levels? After a while they may be too low. It is probably better to set them higher sooner so as to not reduce one's rank later.

Proposal

Guest is Guest
Astral Onlooker is registered but no posts.
Shadow is 1 to 10 posts
Sprite is 11 to 24 posts
Imps are 25 to 99 posts
Fiends are 100 to 249 posts
Demons are 250 499 posts
Major Demons are 500 to 1499 posts
Greater Demons are 1500+ posts
Arch Demons are 2500+ posts
Demon Princes are 5000+ posts
Dark God is 10,000+ post

(Dark God is not an official Abyss term--technically it would be Concordenax, but there is only one of those)

Offline Madfox11  
#130 Posted : Saturday, September 27, 2014 10:57:10 AM(UTC)
Madfox11

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Dark god sounds a bit hollow. True, gods are powerful, but they need those pesky worshippers while demons appear to be able to fine without ;)

Anyway, since my post count on forums, even the ones I have posted on for more than a decade, have hardly reached 5,000, let alone 10,000, I suspect that might be my bitterness speaking. I will never achief the rank of god on this world ;)
Offline Tizzy  
#131 Posted : Saturday, September 27, 2014 3:24:03 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Is it not the aspiration, rather than the realization and perfection that is important?

My experience with dreams is that when you achieve them, they end up feeling hollow.

That's why I like to squash people's dreams before they can be disappointed by them.

I think it's just one of the many friendly services that I, as a demon, can provide.

Offline Rosver  
#132 Posted : Tuesday, September 30, 2014 6:29:07 AM(UTC)
Rosver

@Madfox:

Hmmm? From what I can gather, gods doesn't need anybody to worship them.

@Tizzy:

Huh? 1,500 posts? If you make a post once everyday, it will take you more than 4 years to reach that. 10,000 posts takes more than a quarter of a century! I really doubt anybody will be able to reach the 1,500 here. The topics to be discussed is very limited you know. And 10,000 that is impossible unless you troll or something.
Offline Madfox11  
#133 Posted : Tuesday, September 30, 2014 6:33:37 AM(UTC)
Madfox11

Originally Posted by: Rosver Go to Quoted Post
@Madfox:

Hmmm? From what I can gather, gods doesn't need anybody to worship them.

I got that feeling based on the whole god-pool discussion. Those are filled with the mana from worshippers, aren't? Seems to be the thing they need to be a god instead of a powerful creature like a demon lord...
Offline Tizzy  
#134 Posted : Tuesday, September 30, 2014 1:59:53 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

A century sounds reasonable to me, it's not that long a time. I think I played a game of chess once that lasted around 40 years.

However I probably average 3-4 a day...not sure, should take count/forum time to find out.

So maybe a little high, the time scale I was working on was "when will GRRM finish A Song of Ice and Fire" and I figured whatever that time is, that's the time it takes to become a 'Dark God'.

Again, a century doesn't seem that unreasonable in that context.

Actually, Gods do need/want worshipers. That is where they get their mana (above and beyond what they can collect on their own). That's the key difference between a gods, demons, avatars,djinn and other mana rich beings. Everyone not a god is pretty much limited to what they can collect on their own and store. Gods can store a tremendous about more, have the means to harvest it from worshipers and distribute it to their underlings, including priests.

Naturally, I must add the disclaimer that this is a gross over simplification relevant to this issue only. Gods are actually transcendent creatures of divine wisdom, judgement and holy power, deserving of all reverence and worship!

Offline Rosver  
#135 Posted : Tuesday, September 30, 2014 2:50:27 PM(UTC)
Rosver

I wish I'm immortal like you that way I could accomplish the task of making 10,000 post... wait... of course! I could just make a script or program that posts for me. Using that method, 10,000 posts or more is a piece of cake. *evil laugh*

Need is something that you can't do without. It is something essential. Humans needs water, food and air, without any of them humans tends to die. Well, in a way, need and wants have become interchangable nowdays but I take a strickier vew of things.

From what I can see, gods don't need worshipers for survival and function. They are powerful being by themselves. Having worshipers do have an added advantage that makes them rather desirable to acquire.
Offline Tizzy  
#136 Posted : Wednesday, October 1, 2014 12:30:04 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Whistle

As I've mentioned before when discussing gods...can't say what I know...but this topic is highly relevant to future events....
Offline smw  
#137 Posted : Saturday, October 11, 2014 9:01:06 PM(UTC)
smw

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

I don't know about anyone else, but I am just trying to make it to the respectable "Demon" rank. Being called a sprite or imp is extremely demeaning.

And I am NOT writing this post just to inflate my numbers. Honest! Anxious
Offline eugene2k  
#138 Posted : Sunday, October 12, 2014 7:56:34 AM(UTC)
eugene2k

>Sprite is 11 to 24 posts

Will Coca-Cola not sue you guys for infringement for that?

[edit: oh, crap! They might sue me too...]

Edited by user Sunday, October 12, 2014 7:57:16 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Tizzy  
#139 Posted : Sunday, October 12, 2014 8:18:43 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

You do know why they call it Sprite, right?

The Abyss is a very dry place, there are very few demons with much moisture content (Sprites are it), and torturing, raping and ravaging is thirsty work, so when a Greater Demon finishes it's chores for the day, he/she reaches for the first Sprite they see, opens their mouth and squeezes pure refreshment out.

Hmm, if you guys lick your underarms, do you get a sweet lemon and lime taste?

Offline Grant  
#140 Posted : Monday, October 13, 2014 2:20:43 AM(UTC)
Grant

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

If tom is only 16 he has not yet reached his full human growth will he continue to grow as a human and if so will this also means he grows as a demon getting bigger stronger and smarter till he is a full adult demon or is he already an adult?
also when he stole Mana from a god no other demon has ever done this so will this make people believe he is more powerful and will this belief of all the people who have seen him do this make him more powerful?
also Tizzy is in fact the Concordenax in disguise just thought i should mention that all hail the great and powerful Tizzy