The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
7 Pages«<4567>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Maou  
#101 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2014 12:00:27 AM(UTC)
Maou

Groups: Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Demons could all still be sane. They may have a different perspective due to their longevity and nature, but their decisions still seem to be overly rational. If anything humans would be insane when compared to a demon. Human actions are quite erratic, demons are acknowledged as to being quite rational. Those who are insane by human definitions normally have a broken psyche or warped emotions. Demons are more machine like in nature. They still have emotions, but when compared to a human the fluctuations often seem to be less intense and shorter. An enraged demon will quickly reel in its anger and not blindly charge in. It might attack that which enraged it, but they will do so in a rational manner. Humans in this setting from an object stand point are insane.

Insanity is the state of being seriously mentally ill or madness. It can also be defined as extreme foolishness or irrationality. Rational beings would try reason or understand the reasoning of all other beings. A belief that all members of another sentient race act in one manner is highly irrational. Magic really does make it quite difficult to be entirely rational as ones perception of reality affects it just as much as reality itself. The collective perception of reality by all sentient beings also affects magic to an extent as well. Most demons that still live are highly rational, as are the Oorstemothian, the scary thing is that both groups tend to be frighteningly sane. So sane that to others they appear mad. Their approach to sanity is somewhat different as demons tend to be individuals and the Oorstemothian have somehow developed a way for humans to almost recreate a hive mind.

Emotions are one of the greatest forms of insanity. One who can control their emotions are sane. Demons and Oorstemothian who have impeccable emotional control, as they are driven by logic over these emotions are more sane. Not saying either are completely sane, but it is an interesting thought.
Offline Madfox11  
#102 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2014 9:21:49 AM(UTC)
Madfox11

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The sample of demons in the book seems to be a bit low to form any opinion on the general sanity of demons. From what little we have seen though, I did not get the feel that demons have a tight control over their emotions. Their lack of empathy, their rage when dealing with the accursed masters and similar things seem to suggest they are neither more nor less sane than humans.

Note btw that complete rationality is also a form of insanity. Empathy and emotions do perform a function for an individual to survive within a group, let alone with creatures of other groups.
Offline Maou  
#103 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2014 4:43:27 PM(UTC)
Maou

That's from a human perspective. All organisms will often view themselves as the norm. A mindset differs than the norm is often view as a form of insanity. Well some are viewed as more sane, but most are viewed as less sane. We are demons their for demons are sane and foolish human mortals wallow in their own madness. We pretend to be mad for amusement and when we don't the humans react poorly to demons acting rational, thinking we'll try to trick them into doing something morally reprehensible. They can do that without us. I swear most of the worst things they've done and blamed on demons was either started by a demon and then perpetrated much longer by other humans as the demon had other things to do, or was something they blamed on a demon. A human could never do ______ so a demon must have made them do it. So human to blame something on demons. I swear they just use us as scapegoats to justify their own actions. If we are so bad, why do they keep summoning us. If they stopped the demonic plague to their world would end. Sense they haven't done this they clearly need us for some reason which they fail to express. I know I would never summon a physical manifestation of what I perceived to be pure evil. That screams bad idea.
Offline Tizzy  
#104 Posted : Thursday, October 23, 2014 4:33:53 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 44 post(s)
I am not sure I am qualified to comment on this...but I can testify as to TWO insane individuals.

If you have to debate insanity, then I suspect you are trying to self-diagnose.

I personally find most everyone to be insane in their own way, demon or human. Again, I only know of one person who is 100% certifiably sane. It's also the only person whose secrets and motivations I have even a remote glimpse of.

Offline Tizzy  
#105 Posted : Thursday, October 23, 2014 4:39:07 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

OK, seeing two more open topics...at least one of which has a lot of discussion...will get those tomorrow for reasons listed earlier and because I am being distracted by this Estrebius fellow who's a friend of Boggy's and has some crazy proposal from his accursed master for Tom...talk about cheeky...

Also that stupid incubus is playing with his toy again...need to tell him it's not polite...I don't trust him one bit...you shouldn't either...

This cave sucks...

Offline Maou  
#106 Posted : Thursday, October 23, 2014 10:28:52 PM(UTC)
Maou

Tom's ability to find an accursed master on the mortal plane and open a portal for a demon to go their under no wards at any time or place will likely be in great demand. Frankly their is little a demon would enjoy more than an option for that. Look at what Tizzy or any demon other than Tom does when they run into their master whom is unprotected and unmolested. They mess them up. That is a skill that could be used greatly for demonic profit as it lets one kill the master and loot their stuff. Wizards tend to be rich.
Offline Rosver  
#107 Posted : Thursday, October 23, 2014 10:41:32 PM(UTC)
Rosver

Groups: Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
@Maou:

I was also mulling at using object links for the same purpose. Object links is also quite much better as you can put the objects in strategic positions and they can have multiple number of them.
Offline Tizzy  
#108 Posted : Thursday, October 23, 2014 11:02:01 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Tom's ability is rather unusual. I've never heard of it being done before...however I suspect the higher ups can do it. I would LOVE to have that power!

I point out that despite what was previously thought, Arch Demons seem to have less than zero difficulty popping back and forth between Astlan and the Abyss.

I am sure, many a wizard will find this quite distressful once they fully realize that no one summoned Exador or Ramses or Bess (whom they don't yet know about at EOV I)

There has been a general assumption that Arch Demons and Demon Princes require so much energy to manifest on the Planes of Men that local mana sensitive individuals (seers etc in particular) would sense the giant amounts of mana being used and alert people.
Offline Maou  
#109 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2014 12:00:36 AM(UTC)
Maou

That is ridiculous. A demon could just open a physical gate between the abyssal plane and Astlan and then just walk through it physically. Powerful demons could hide their presence, and wizards are not as competent as they would like to think. They are quite competent in some fields of study, but in fields that involve things such as demons, which is built on false assumptions and beliefs, they find research lacking. When the basis of the system, which is deemed an absolute truth is wrong, it makes it near impossible to truly grasp what is going on. They can get closer, but that fundamental error makes it quite difficult, complex, and lacking.
Offline Tizzy  
#110 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2014 12:44:02 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

I'm not sure which thing you are referring to as ridiculous.

Opening a gateway to the "correct" plane is not a trivial as you might think. Even for the truly skilled, and then which planet do you open it to...how do you avoid opening a gate in the middle of deep space between planets?

We are talking an infinite number of near infinite planes, it is sort of like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Teleportation on a plane requires you to know where you to know your destination very well.
Runic Gateways require gates with links between them on both ends.
Astral Travel requires orientation in the Astral Plane and some sort of map or idea of where you are going and how to get there.

So popping back and forth between two infinite planes with a 'gateway' that has no end points is extremely difficult. You could end up anywhere in the Abyss or on Anuropia or worse...
Offline Maou  
#111 Posted : Saturday, October 25, 2014 4:56:29 PM(UTC)
Maou

Most demons are bound to a wizard and this can be tracked, or a higher leveled demon can just hijack a summons. Any demon on astlan can make portals with great accuracy into the abyss. A demon with astralmancy or the wizardly equivalent could also probably navigate the two planes with little difficulty.
Offline Tizzy  
#112 Posted : Saturday, October 25, 2014 10:01:58 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

The wizard can track the demon and summon them yes. More powerful demons can sense their master over the link...however MOST can not activate the link without a summoning spell from their accursed master.

The vast majority of demons can't make it to the planes of men without a wizard. I point out that Antefalken requires Damien to summon him, I had to hitch a ride with Tom. Tom can only do it if he can locate a summons to hijack (a very rare trick) or in the case of the ring, he was able to follow a link tied to his true name.

In fact, the speaking of a demon's true name is historically well known to attract the demon's attention and the more powerful ones might then show up of their own volition (this is the subject of a lot of horror movies)

E.g. speaking the name three times in a mirror is always inviting trouble in when IV or higher is involved.

However, that is really only the 4.5's and above, i.e. the direct mana manipulators. And not all of them.

Remember, Ramses and Exador are an Animage and Wizard respectively, so what they can do may or may not be tied to their demon abilities.

But a Type II demon can no more jump between planes than a master jeweler or a chef.

Offline Rosver  
#113 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2014 3:43:29 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Groups: Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Well. It is quite implied that Tom's ability to trace the binding is unusual.

Hmm. So the strong demons could pop between the two worlds no prob. That reminds me with the issue of Ramses playing the piano. That scene could actually be in the Abyss. How could the piano work there. Piano lovers would be horrified with the abuse.
Offline Maou  
#114 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2014 6:01:03 AM(UTC)
Maou

How would the animus of a half-elf half-human act on death? Would it act human and linger, act elven and return to nature, or would it do something else?
Offline Rosver  
#115 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2014 1:21:10 PM(UTC)
Rosver

It probably just dessipates.
Offline Tizzy  
#116 Posted : Tuesday, October 28, 2014 6:14:11 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

It probably depends on how the genetics play out, how elfish is the person? That would effect the rate at which the animus leaves the body.

Plus, Elves typically do dissipate, but that's not an apriori requirement. It's just someone or something needs to grab their animus pretty fast. So with the right preparations, one could move on to an after life. For all I know, and I don't, there may be elvish religions that have an after life.

Why I say this? Elven liches. You don't see many of them, relatively speaking. But I've heard of at least one. Somehow that elf necromancer managed to contain her animus after death and get it through the liching process.

Offline Rosver  
#117 Posted : Thursday, October 30, 2014 10:11:57 AM(UTC)
Rosver

I don't have much knowlege about this so I think I have nothing to comment.
Offline Tizzy  
#118 Posted : Thursday, October 30, 2014 9:42:26 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

That happens...you should gets some potions of endless commenting...those help. Really annoying to your friends and family but...not as bad as a "Curse of Kvetching" but pretty close.
Offline Rosver  
#119 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2014 1:36:32 AM(UTC)
Rosver

You don't need a potion. Just need a script or program. It is easy really.

As we are talking about mana. It seems, as the book imply, that plants has mana too. Are plant mana the same as animal mana? Also, is demon mana very much the same as human manas? People can't seem to tell a demon pretending to be a human from real humans.

Also, could people somehow use plant mana to do magic?
Offline Tizzy  
#120 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2014 4:15:21 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

At the root level mana is just mana, and animus is just animus what changes is how it binds to different substances, and raw harvested mana can have some residuals from where it was harvested. For example the pure god mana has been filtered through a lot of Illuminaries and thus purified/filtered of impurities.

Plants have animus since they are alive, therefore they can attract mana, and some plants (i.e. magical plants) have a lot of mana.

I'm not an expert, but Druids are, they harvest excess mana etc from plants and animals in a manner similar to clerics. There is some discussion of it in the Druids part of the library.

And yes on the demon human thing, it's just how it's constrained to the body. As Maelen notes, Edwyrd appears to be a big mana blob, not very tightly contained or controlled, something that would be very sloppy for a wizard or even another animage, symptomatic of someone very powerful, but poorly organized/disciplined/etc.